Moving to libya questions?

My wife (dutch) and I (Aussie living in London)are most likely going to be moving to Tripoli in the near future. I plan on coming out first with her to follow 2 or 3 months later. We have found all the info on this site to be very useful but I have a few questions I hope you can help with.

The salary I have been quoted is in USD and 'tax free', the company has offered to set up an account in Malta or Cyprus for me.
I have asked if it is possible to be payed half in local curency and half in Euros.
Is this a good idea?
How hard is it to set up a local bank account?
I have loads more questions but I will use these to get the ball rolling.

Non-Libyans are not permitted to open accounts at Libyan banks.

Depending on which company you are going to work for, you may be able to take an advance in LYD against your salary, but check the exchange rate they'll use.

Why not make use of the ATM's in Libya, it works for me easily enough?

I agree with Sandman, we are from Wales in the UK and bank with HSBC in the UK, we upgraded our account to Premier and now get international withdrawals for free, so we just cash out of the local machines as Sandman has suggested.

Geoff,

How does it work getting payed into a UK account with regards to income tax in the UK?

Ed

If you keep a UK account and then HMRC decides that you owe them money, you're fcuked. If you bank outside the UK then it's much harder for them to chase you.

hi, I'm new to this site and planning to become expat in Libya, Currently negotiating for a post as project manager in one of the US company operating in Libya soon. My dumb question would be what sort of salary range in USD should I ask for the job mentioned above... thanks in advance for any honest inputs!

Lutzzzzz wrote:

My dumb question would be what sort of salary range in USD should I ask for the job mentioned above...

Double what you expect to make and accept half of it...

Ha..ha..ha..Cool dude! got what you mean Sandman6...Thanks!

I am(from India) likely to get a faculty position in Libya. Offer is around 4,500 US dollars. Is it enough for myself, my wife and a kid. What will be the expenditure. Is it possible to save money and what percent of the savings can be sent back to India

Dear Bhanucvk

I was told that there will be around (5-15% Income tax) + 3.75% Social Service tax and 1% petroelum tax. So if u r getting 4500 USD, then likely you may lose around 700-900 USD as tax.
regarding expenses for you + your wife and kid, it will be around USD 1000 excluding accommodation (say another 600-800 uSD). So finally you may be left with 2000 USD to send home.
I guess it is not a good sum for all the trouble you are taking.

Think about it before you take the leap

Regards

Dear All

I am a little confused I have been informed that expats do not pay tax.

G

If the employer has a reciprocal taxation agreement with Libya, no tax (other than company hypothetical tax).

If no agreement, local Libyan taxes are payable.

Same as anywhere else in the world...

There is one more important thing here in addition to the tax mentioned above. If the person lives less than 183 days outside India (bhanucvk is residing in India as per his profile) during the period April 1, 2008 to March 31, 2009, then he also has to pay tax in India for the sum earned in Libya. The amount of tax he has to pay will be calculated on his earnings from which he can subtract the tax he paid in Libya so that there is no double taxation. So eventually if Bhanucvk does not go to Libya before September 27, 2009, he has to pay another 30% (approx) of his earnings in Libya from which he can understand that he will be left with say (2000-600 = 1400 USD) to send home.

Hi Everyone,

I am from India likely to get a Web Designer position in Tripoli,Libya.I have been offered LYD 1200 PM with Sharing accommodation. Approx can any one tell me the additional expenses and the amount that i can save

hello rpkumar,
               how many years of experience do you have? 1200 lyd is very very less salary. i think it is for any person having 1 year experience. and why are u taking such risk to go to libya for this small amount ofmoney. one my friend was telling only 150 to 200 lyd /month is sufficient( for indian bach.)if u are provided with accom. but my suggestion is that dont go.

bye
deb

Hi Dear All,

We, myself and my wife, got a job opportunity in Libya. Our Company going to provide us food, accomodation and house to office transportation. Addition to this 2000 US$ in India and 400 LYD in Libya for local expenses per head. We have done post graduation in Envrionmental Engg. and we have more than 3 yrs of experience. Is it a good offer? What is per month expence on food in a scenario, if we have fully furnished accomodation and messing is not provided by company?

Thank for your time.

Kapil Devang

hi aussie

i work in tripoli and my wife is britsh and i cant ask her to come and live here with me life here is still in develpoe it need long time so be pateint come see lie then takeur decision.

Regards

Hi

Are laptops availbale in tripoli, what is the price range? Shall be bring it from India?

Kapil

Hi:

Most of you are moving or living in and around Tripoli. I have an offer in O&G sector in Benghazi, Libya. The offer is good, salary around 9400 euros per month with accomodation (furnished) and 200 dinar for other expense. I intend to work on rotation basis for 3-5 months

I plan to first move myself followed by my wife and two kids a few months later. Is it a good decision to take? The use of local ATM for US nationals is a good idea to remember.
I would like to hear about opening offshore account in Libya to avoid full-tax payment in the US. Please advise.

-Jyoti

From what I have seen, the salary looks ok. On the tax issue, lots of ways to elude the taxman's grasp (legally) - PM me and I'll give you a few ideas.

Jkar,
My wife and kids came out from the UK to have a recce about a month ago - weren't that impressed which came as no surprise.
Spend a good few months to get to know the country before you make any decisions, especially if your kids are at school. If your coming over, say, for a fixed two year contract and the kids are young then it may be do-able, but I have my doubts.

Non-Libyans can open bank accounts here as long as they have residence visa's - i have done this.

jkar wrote:

Hi:

Most of you are moving or living in and around Tripoli. I have an offer in O&G sector in Benghazi, Libya. The offer is good, salary around 9400 euros per month with accomodation (furnished) and 200 dinar for other expense. I intend to work on rotation basis for 3-5 months

I plan to first move myself followed by my wife and two kids a few months later. Is it a good decision to take? The use of local ATM for US nationals is a good idea to remember.
I would like to hear about opening offshore account in Libya to avoid full-tax payment in the US. Please advise.

-Jyoti

Avoiding the US tax man is hard - best of luck.