HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO SPEAK THE LANGUAGE? (ARABIC/ FRENCH)

I AM PLANNING ON MOVING TO TUNISIA BY THE END OF THE MONTH WITH MY HUSBAND (FROM TUNISIA) AND MY CHILDREN. I AM SUPER EXCITED BUT ALSO SO NERVOUS. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO LEARN THE LANGUAGE ENOUGH TO GO OUT ALONE? AND MY HUSBAND HAS A BUSINESS, IS IT SAFE FOR ME TO WALK ALONE BACK AND FORTH FROM HOME TO HIS WORK? I THINK I HAVE WATCHED WAY TO MANY MOVIES AND I AM SO SCARED OF BEING KIDNAPPED AND HELD FOR RANSOM. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO EXPECT. I HAVE BEEN TO TUNISIA BEFORE AND HAD A SCARY SITUATION WHERE GUYS SURROUNDED MY CAR AND WERE TRYING TO OPEN THE DOORS. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY WANTED OR WHY THEY DID THAT. THEY WERE ALL YELLING BUT BECAUSE I DON'T SPEAK THE LANGUAGE I DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY WERE SAYING. THANKS IN ADVANCE. ALSO LOOKING FOR ENGLISH SPEAKING FRIENDS IN TUNISIA ( FEMALES ONLY PLEASE MY HUSBAND WOULD NOT LIKE ME TALKING TO MEN) ADD ME IN YAHOO [email protected]

Hi Tunisian_Wifey,
You will be absolutely fine. Adjusting to another culture and language can be daunting but if you are willing then you will certainly learn.Tunisias are very accomadating and willing to help.  I would suggest having a private tutor to teach you the basics in either Tunisian derja or French then you can at least feel comfortable going out alone.
Hope this helps
Crispym

Hi tunisian_wifey,

Please avoid your caps lock on the forum. Thank you.

hi tunisian wifey
in 1 year you will start to understand in 2 years you will speak it little bit in 4 years you will speak it good :)
and it all depend of your energy

Hi, the Basic Interpersonal Conversation Skills (BICS) is about the social use of the targt language, it might take 6 months up to 2 years (depending on how much you interact with native speakers and your dedication to learn the language). Now, the Cognitive Academic Language Proficiency (CALP) is the use of the language at an academic level, it takes an average of 5-10 years (again, it's all subjective). It's easier for a person who speaks more than one language to learn others, linguistically speaking. I suggest you to start with the basics (a review of your own language grammar, syntax, semantics, verb conjugation, phonetics, etc.) being aware of your own language helps you identify linguistic characteristics of your target language. In Tunisia you can speak French in most places, so if you want to start with that language, it will help you to manage your time here while you learn Arabic. About the safety, don't worry, it's safe! Back in Virginia we read about crime, a clerk was shot in a robbery, we had a bomb threat at the school I used to work, I had to move for a crazy racist neighbor who used to scream at my visitors and to the African American neighbors...etc,. you don't see those things around here, so don't worry. My yahoo is [email protected] and I live in Tunis, in Ariana. Welcome to Tunisia! :)

Hi ladies , i am a Tunisian housewife and need to get in touch with some friends (female only ) if you don't mind accept me as a friend