Considering moving to Cambodia

After years of toying with moving abroad and a recent honeymoon in Cambodia, my husband and I are seriously considering taking the plunge and moving to Phnom Penh.

He has his own Internet-based business and can work from anywhere. I've been working as a journalist in the UK for the last seven years and despite loving my job, we both long for change.

Ideally, I would love to continue my journalism in Cambodia but am not sure how possible this would be. Another alternative I've been looking at is doing an online TEFL course and teaching English in Cambodia while I build up a few contacts to pursue my journalism.

We flit between definitely wanting to go and worrying that we won't meet people, make friends and will move there only to hate it.

I'm just looking for a bit of advice from people who have already taken the plunge. Is it worth it? What are the pros and cons of living in PP? What's the general cost of living (we'd want to live in somewhere pretty decent)? Should we stop worrying and just go for it?

It would be great to here from people who have already done it and what their experiences are of moving from the UK or other places to live in PP.

Also, we're hoping to start a family within the next year or so. This may sound like a really ignorant question but is it feasible to consider bringing up a baby in PP compared with the UK?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Marissa

Hello Marissa,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Concerning the cost of living, I would suggest you to have a look at the following thread: "Cost of living in PP - How far will $300/month stretch?". You could get a hint about the cost of living, and i hope the other members can give you more details. ;)

Good Luck,
Rouma

Hello Marissa,

I just came upon your message and hope it is not too late. I urge you to follow your heart and do it! My husband and I moved here a year and a half ago and have never regretted it for a minute.

We moved here to volunteer for a couple of NGO and we are both writers (former journalists) and have continued to do writing projects during our time here. There are lots of opportunities once you are here but it requires being on the ground in order to meet people and hear about them. I'm not sure of your financial requirements as freelance writing won't probably pay the bills so it's a good idea to have a teaching credential as well.

There is so much need here for good professional people and I'm sure your husband will have no problem in finding opportunities.

Having said that, Cambodia is a wonderful place to live. We know a number of people who have had babies and started families here and the lifestyle is so much slower and less complicated than in the western world.

Prices are cheap (you can find a nice place to live between $250 and $500/month), food is wonderful (there's nothing here we can't find), weather is always hot (sometimes rainy as well), people are amazing and there's a good network of expats who are always ready to help, lend a hand or offer advise. Check out the Cambodia Parents' Network group on Yahoo and join it (you don't have to be a parent)as you'll find tons of useful information that can help you.

And please feel free to email me at [email protected] as I'd be happy to help answer any other questions you have. I'm a great believer in jumping into things with both feet and keeping an open heart for opportunities that arise.

Best,
Gabi

Hi Marissa are you interested in a corporate copywriting position in Phnom Penh
please give me your email add
thanks
Ron

Hi Ron,

For job offer, could you please post in the jobs in phnom penh section?

Thank you,
Christine

Hello Marissa,
My name is Mike and I did the same thing 6 months ago, Except I Came alone. I do not regret it. It does however take alot of
patience when you do things here.
As far as the cost of living, I live near the Royal Palace and Pay $400 a month for a 2 bedroom, Electric $60, Food thats my
Biggest expense $100 a week. Sorry but I'm not a rice or noodle Fan..
I have several friends here and 1 just had a baby last week.
You can always get a live in nanny for about $60 a month.

Hope  this helps you some, my email is [email protected]
If you want any other info.
Mike

HI! I say do it! Especially since you have the financial security of your husband still having a job. In my experience of working and living abroad you actually make friends much more easily and more rapidly than at home because most folks are transient and more open and laid back. As I wrote in my profile I first moved to Phnom Penh 10 years ago and there weren't that many foreigners. My husband and I returned for a 5 week visit with our two small children this past spring and there are so many more foreigners as the country is booming economically. I did find it quite a bit more expensive though, but that all depends on how you want to live. If you have a maid/cook who goes to the local market for you and buys your food, it's cheap. If you want the same cereal and cheese that you enjoy at home and you go to Bayon or Lucky super markets it's expensive! We end up doing a bit of both.
As for accommodation, you can spend $300 for a one bedroom flat or 2K a month for a luxury 2 bedroom apartment with swimming pool and maid services etc... There is an increasing number of choices for expats.
Good luck!

Hi Lynn Healy,

Firstly - Welcome on board :)

Secondly thank you very much for posting and sharing information on the Forum except maybe you should know that this post here is dated 2011 :happy:

I invite you to please browse through the more recent discussions on the Phom Penh Forum and feel free to participate by posting and sharing your experiences and information as it will be really helpful and will definitely generate more interactions with our members

Have a grand day  ;)

Maximilien

Hi everybody, i am very glad to joint you all. Thanks