IMPORT THE CAR FROM UK TO BRUNEI

I am moving to Brunei soon. I am planning to bring my own car in Brunei, But I have no idea about tax rules and regulation and apply the clearance certificate from port to import the car in Brunei. Has anyone got information?

FORGET IT, we tried to do this. There is far too much corruption. You will end up having to pay many unscrupulous people back handers and end up paying huge fees as you try to fee your car from them. The motor industry is tightly controlled in Brunei. I recommend you just do what the rest of us do, buy a banger whilst you work here and flog it or scrap it as you leave.

Agree with Sandra. We considered shipping our 3-yr-old Ford S-Max over here from the UK when we moved out here, but SOOOOOO glad we didn't, even though we ended up having to sell it for peanuts and having to buy another 3yr old vehicle (a Toyota Fortuna) for $31K. Everyone we spoke to on the subject, both before leaving and since arriving, has said similar things to Sandra: the process is a NIGHTMARE due to way too much red tape and the fact that no one does anything particularly quickly in Brunei! Haven't heard the 'corruption' line before, though. We were told a horror story about a colleague who had bought himself a new car in Japan and had attempted to have it shipped overe here; TWO YEARS later, he was still waiting for it to clear through customs :-/ Things like that just don't make the possible savings (from shipping a car in from abroad) worth it.

2nd hand cars here are vastly overpriced compared to the UK, and the concept of a service history is pretty much unheard of, so when you buy 2nd hand, you're entering a bit of a minefield. That being said, buying from fellow ex-pats who are leaving should be okay. Alternatively, if you know a bit about cars, you can pick up some really good bargains from the HSBC car auctions (repossessed cars mostly). Some have been in accidents, but some are in pristine condition, the owners just can't/don't want to have to pay the HP repayments anymore.

As Sandar says, if you buy an old banger (which will still probably cost you atleast $1000), the good news is you'll probably still sell it for that when you leave! Cars don't depreciate in value to zero like they do in the UK...they reach a baseline figure and then seem to stick at that, regardless of age, mileage or condition.

Good luck!

If you plan to stay in Brunei for more than 3 years, it is very easy to buy a decent car, you dont have to settle to an "oldbanger". There are lots of ways to resell the car as well when you leave the country.

If money is an issue, you can loan and the interest rates are quite competitive. 5-7% per annum.

If any one is trying to sell their car do let me know, I might be interested.