Hi - Coming to stay in Gozo in next month or so

Hi Everyone, I'm James. I'm 33 and live in Scotland at the minute. My folks are moving to Gozo as soon as their house is sold here and due to a change in my circumstances, I have decided I fancy a new start too and I'm going to join them.

Still really confused about the residency / work rules. I'm not 100% about whether I can just turn up and work straight away (if I find a job) or is it a long process gaining residency and then having to obtain a work permit.

Suppose other main concern is what to do for a job. I have spent my whole career here working in various lines of security (prison service , nightclubs etc) and wonder if I am going to have to re-train or look for something totally different. Fortunately, have a couple of quid saved but it won't last too long.

Anyway, hopefully get to know some of you before I arrive. Nothing worse than going to a new country and being Jimmy No Mates. It's like the first day of Primary school all over again lol

Welcome to Expat.com James!

I'm sure that you'll make lots of friends here.;)

Harmonie.

Are you an EU citizen ?

if you are eu citizen and i assume you are as your scottish (on profile) you do not need a visa or work permit.

Hi Everyone, thanks for the welcome. Yeh, I'm an EU citizen but I've read so much about moving over to Malta that I'm thoroughly confused. I know that there is a financial criteria that you have to meet but I also thought that you had to go through a process proving your finances, filling in paperwork and waiting a period of time before you were eligible to work.
Apart from that I'm just quite excited to be coming over. Once everything is settled it will be fantastic

the proving financial stability is for when you apply for residency but once you start work and have an NI number its almost automatic i think georgeingozo will help you more and has much more info.

We have residency here but our son hasnt - but he works and has had no problem

if your son is working, by definition he is resident, as tourists arent allowed to work. He is breaking the law if he doesnt get a residence certificate

toonarmy9752 wrote:

the proving financial stability is for when you apply for residency but once you start work and have an NI number its almost automatic

as long as the job pays at least minimum wage then you fulfil the financial test.

georgeingozo wrote:

if your son is working, by definition he is resident, as tourists arent allowed to work. He is breaking the law if he doesnt get a residence certificate

george, am sure he is worrying about it!!!!!NOT

am also sure there are bigger fish to fry on these maltese islands with all the corruption and vat scams tax evasion etc

there are indeed bigger fish to fry, but foreign fish is particularly tasty...

applying for a residence certificate takes about an hour for someone in employment

georgeingozo wrote:

there are indeed bigger fish to fry, but foreign fish is particularly tasty...

applying for a residence certificate takes about an hour for someone in employment

i dont disagree george - there are thousands of people living and working here without the res cert..not saying its right and proper george - its just a fact and the very fact it is happening on such a scale would tempt me to suspect its not a top priority to sort out weed out those people.

Could be a nice little earner for the govt - a few thousands times a fine of say € 100** (plus costs), and the best part for the govt is, they are all foreigners, so no loss of votes.

**I've no idea what the actual fine under Maltese law is, but do know that under EU law they are allowed to levy one

Thanks guys. That makes it clearer. I suppose in simple terms-as long as I get a job there won't be any problems.
One last question then I'll stop being a nuisance. How long after I arrive will I legally be allowed to work? i.e How long is the process normally to gain residency and therfore be elligible to work? I had been on a Maltese government site which suggested it can take 3 months for the relevant paperwork. If so, would I be better applying just now before I arrive?

In simple terms - get your id card anytime within three months, probably best in your case as soon as you arrive - that takes just over one week. You can work as long as you wish.
Gaining residency takes about one month - once you are working its a simple process, if you are not it is then that they need to satisfy themselves that you are not going to be a burden on the malti state, and thats when you need to provide proof of your ability to be self sufficient financially.

you don't need to be resident to start work - yes, it can take 3 months for the paperwork to be processed (actually its more like 12 months), but your responsibility is only to apply for a residency certificate.

You could start work the day you arrive - you then need to apply for a social security number, a tax number, your residency certificate and your ID card

georgeingozo wrote:

you don't need to be resident to start work - yes, it can take 3 months for the paperwork to be processed (actually its more like 12 months), but your responsibility is only to apply for a residency certificate.

You could start work the day you arrive - you then need to apply for a social security number, a tax number, your residency certificate and your ID card

george forgive my ignorance but what paperwork takes 3-12months? am a bit confused

to actually get your residence certificate can take months and months - worst I've heard is 12 months earlier this year

Guys, thanks for your help. It's all making a bit more sense hearing it straight. The Government website is more than a little bit confusing. I owe you both a coffee (or preferably a beer) when I get there

georgeingozo wrote:

to actually get your residence certificate can take months and months - worst I've heard is 12 months earlier this year

we got ours exactly one month after applying for it...

toonarmy9752 wrote:
georgeingozo wrote:

we got ours exactly one month after applying for it...

good to hear

we thought it was an excellent service considering what we had heard too. Mind you it took 6 months to get the RHC card printed and laminated......LOL

Atleast with RHC you get a temporary letter that works just the same. Not having the residency certificate makes getting cheaper electricity prices much harder.

georgeingozo wrote:

Atleast with RHC you get a temporary letter that works just the same. Not having the residency certificate makes getting cheaper electricity prices much harder.

we managed to get the cheaper elec and water rates for our son just on the basis of proving his NI number and payment of tax. But it is easier if you have it.

now im confused...

whats the legal statuses in here tehn, for foreigners coming here?
i came here a month and some ago, i basically came here cause i got a job - the paperwork they had me fill was the social security number and the etc form, and to apply for the id card. so wahts my status now? doesnt seem to me like im a resident, not that i know of.. its better to have a residency or what? sure i'd like cheaper bills (not like im paying heaps now, its registered for my landlord and my last bill was for 25 euro for both water and electricity, half of which was the flat rate)..

could anyone be so kind as to straighten this up for me?

If you are working, then you are a resident. Also, by applying for an ID card, you have declared you are resident. By law you now have to apply for a residency certificate (I'm assuming you are an EU citizen).

and this would be the "ordinary residency", right? im defo not rich enough for the high net worthy scheme.

however, that residency certificate, i'll google it now, but would you mind putting some info on it here as well in case i find nothing? first time hearing of it.

I'm PM you a link with the details

tenko wrote:

and this would be the "ordinary residency", right? im defo not rich enough for the high net worthy scheme.

yes, OR

tenko wrote:

that residency certificate, i'll google it now,

dangerous - there is so much bad advice about things like that on the internet