Small Business in Malaysia

Dear All

I need some advice.
What kind of business can an expat start / acquire in order to settle in Malaysia.
I have limited savings RM 250,000.

Thanks

You can start any kind of business you like.

But you need to look at "local ownership" rules to see if you must have a local partner.

Do some internet research in the various Malaysian government websites, they are generally very good about telling you what you need.

Nobody able to advice you on that for sure.
You need to come and look and decide what would be possible.
Thats why some people succeed on business some people fail.

I recommend visit Malaysia and research.

Thanks for the info. 

Is there a link / shortcut u have to list of 100% ownership industries... and those which require a local partnership ?

I was particularly interested in ...

a) bed n breakfast lodging

or

b) leisure activities at tourist locations

or

c) food business (takeaway / delivery) only

would appreciate ur fedback

cheers !

I recommend lots of research before considering such a move.

A probable scenario:
Likely you need one, how and where will you look for local partners?
How will you build trust?
Do you have a foreign company you could open a branch?
What experience do you have in these three diverse categories?

Does your savings include or exclude expenses while looking for a venture?
Who will you consult or trust to consult?
What will you offer/bring to potential partner?

suppose you invest in 1,2 what are your contacts? advertising venues?

Suppose you invest in 3 what are your cuisine local or exotic menu- have you done any market research, audience target and analysis? location?

Malaysia is divided in 2 regions: East and West- where do you intend to invest?

You should post a list of  your unknowns - someone might be able to help.

As an expat in malaysia . You need to use cash for everything for a start if you are referring to the 3 kind of business that you are interested in.

Even our local indian muslim eatery called locally mamak needs more than ringgit malaysia 250k to renovate.

Travel agency is also capital intensive to have a office and you need licence.

With RM250k ,from a friend point of view....best keep the money in the bank. go buy some Unit Trust or Stock in the share market

Salam
Dear Nadir Hassan
I agree your ideas and your capital is enough not so less to start this like business.you can have a restaurant a food takeaway catering,or a bed and breakfast hostel easily,the important is the planing and research and your personal capability,nothing els.you need to come and register a company first .
i have my own experience, therefore i can advice you better then els,in few days i ll have my own hostel.you can cal me better e mail me.
wish you good luck
A Ali Durrani

Dear All,

I want to start small bussiness with small  amount in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia. I want to start small food court in Kuala Lumpur. Any one please let me know how much money will be spend on this business and have any link or ideas please share with me
My email address is [email protected]

Best Regards and Thanks,
Sadruddin Bana

Dear All,

I would like to start small bussiness in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia. I like to start small food court in Kuala Lumpur. Any one please let me know how much money will be spend on this business and have any link or ideas please share with me
My email address is [email protected]

Best Regards and Thanks,
mohamed abuthaheer

dear sir
  like to set up a small boutique with traditional wear as main.
want to know how much will be the expenses and rough estimate is required.I am also interested in designer sarees marketing.
thanks for this oppurtunity.

Email to me at [email protected].

I have some proposal for you.

thank you.

Well shrinivasa rao you will need to set up a company in Malaysia as that is the rule for foreigners to do business activities here. 

You will need RM500k and 2 directors to run it yourself.  Or if you find a trustworthy Malaysian to go into the business with you then the capital required is RM350k.

You will need to pay yourself and the 2nd foreign Director a monthly salary of minimum RM5k and pay income tax monthly on that amount. The monthly salary is what gets you an employment pass so you can work legally in Malaysia. 

The capital can be used to set up the activities, but each year when it comes to the time to prepare the annual report and accounts, the level of money at the outset must be in the corporate bank account.

You will have quite a lot of competition as there are lots of people marketing traditional dress - the likely interest from the population will not be huge though, as the Indian culture is a minority one in Malaysia.

The cost of renting premises can be quite high so you should shop around for a good area and reasonable rents. The administrative set up costs are under RM 10k but they can quickly mount up with infrastructure and marketing costs, not to mention import taxes and shipping costs.

This website provides up-to-date information about the rules for company set up and work permits and a wealth of other useful information:

http://malaysiabizadvisory.com/malaysia … oreigners/

[Moderated: Off topic]

@AYusof

Hello nicolamandeng1

Welcome to expat.com!

It's been years since this discussion was last active and the members on this discussion are also inactive.

If you require any information, you can create your own discussion on the Malaysia forum.

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

[DISCUSSION CLOSED]

Closed