Pensionada Visas

I am moving to Medellin soon.  I have heard of the pensionada visa and was wondering if someone could enlighten me as to the benefits and how to obtain one.  I am currently in West Palm Beach Florida.  I will be cming to Medellin in February 2012 to search for an apartment, flat or house.  I then plan to go to LaVega via Bogota.
Would appreciate any and all input.
Carl Salvo

Applying for a Pensianado Visa is straightforward and easy. You will have to show a guaranteed monthly income (Social Security) that is 3x the Colombian minimum monthly wage which at this point is 1606800 Colombian Pesos which translates to about $835.00 a month. You will need a copy of your Social Security letter stating your monthly income which has been duly authenticated. You'll need photos, etc but the Colombian Embassy can tell you the size and what else is needed. I got my Colombian Pensianado visa in Panama and the process took about 15 minutes.

Carl Salvo wrote:

I am moving to Medellin soon.  I have heard of the pensionada visa and was wondering if someone could enlighten me as to the benefits and how to obtain one.  I am currently in West Palm Beach Florida.  I will be cming to Medellin in February 2012 to search for an apartment, flat or house.  I then plan to go to LaVega via Bogota.
Carl Salvo

Hi Carl,
the first step for retirees can be legally established in Colombia is to request a temporary residence. This type of residence of pensioners Colombia is offered only to those who demonstrate receive a monthly pension, granted by a private company, a public entity or a government. The amount of money received by the person who chooses a pensioners residence Colombia must be greater than or equal to 10 monthly minimum wage in Colombia (2861 dollars).Among the documents would have to present the person interested in receiving a residence of pensioners Colombia is your passport, with at least three pages available and valid for at least three months. In addition, two photocopies of your passport, three passport photos and two original application forms residence for pensioners, filled in correctly. Finally, an original certificate issued by a private company or government pension pay of the person who chooses a pensioners residence Colombia. This certification must be submitted and certified translated into Spanish. The fee for issuance of the visa of pensioners Colombia is $ 175.

If you need any help with the rent, let me know.

Best wishes

Brigitte

The law was changed. You need 3x the amount of the Colombian minimum wage...not 10x the amount.

Also, the fee for the Pensionado visa for US citizens is free.

Hi Len,
Thank you for the information.  At this point I am waiting for the official letter from social security documenting my monthly income.
Now, and correct me if I am wrong, I plan on taking that letter and whatever photos they require to the Colombian Embassy where I should be able to get my visa!  Is that correct?

Carl

Len,

Forgot to ask you.  I am still here in Florida. Miami is not that far for me to go, so would it be better for me to take all the paperwork to the embassy there or to Medellin where I will be in 45 days?

Carl

I would get the visa in Miami. They speak english there:). Also from what I've heard, they are extremely friendly and helpful at the Miami Embassy. FWIW, when I presented my SS letter to the Colombian Embassy in Panama, I didn't bother to translate it and they accepted it. I can guarantee you that the process will be fast and painless. If you're missing anything the Colombian Embassy will tell you where and how to get what's needed. You'll have a 10-15 minute interview and then they'll tell you to come back the next day for your visa. Once you get to Colombia you'll have to go to DAS within 15 days to apply for and get your Cedula. The Cedula is good for 1 year.After 5 years you become a permanent resident. I'm marrying a Colombiana in four days. Any questions you have, feel free to ask via the forum or private mail.

Brigitte,

Thank you for your response.  I am super excited to making this move.  I have spent some time in Cali, Bogota, LaVega and, of course Medellin.  I have seen some interesting information about Quito, Equador and Guyaquil(sp). I really love Medellin, the ambiance and the people.  Spent time in Parque Lleras but never knew about the expat hangouts which I am now making a list of.  Tell me...how long have you been in Medellin and what are you dong to keep yourself busy.  Do you work or are you independently wealthy....LOL. Do you teach Spanish?  I know I am asking many questions but please bear with me.
Carl

Len,
I am right now in New York visiting my daughter for the holidays. I have already applied for my SS information and they will be sending the authentication letter to me at her address.  After I return south I will go to Miami and get my visa.  In February it will be off to Medellin, Bogota and then LaVega.  I hope to meet and talk with other expats in Parque Lleras while there.

Hope to talk to you soon,

Carl

Hola

Quiero aplicar para mi suegra la visa de pensionada...como lo hiciste?

Claudia

Carl Salvo wrote:

Carl Salvo

Hi Claudia,

I invite you to post in English so that everyone can understand and participate.
You can also post in Spanish on the Medellin Hispanic forum ;).

Cheers,
Julie