Some newbie questions (Riyadh)

Can I wear shorts in public?
Can I import CD's and DVD's from Amazon?
Are there music stores selling western CD's in Riyadh?
How about books?
If I want to leave KSA and go shopping which is best Bahrain or Qatar?
Are CD's/DVD's stopped and vetted at customs before I can take them?
Are computers held at customs and checked when I arrive?
Are there apartments in expat compounds as well as villas?
Are compound properties more expensive than those out in the community?

I'm sure I'll have more questions... :)

Thanks.

@gashead-

loads of qs, most of them answered elsewehre.
but here ya go-

1. Shorts, as long as they are not short shorts. knee lenght ones are alright. Though I wouldnt go to some of "family" malls wearing one.
2. As long as it is not what is banned int he country its alright.
3. there are music stores, but you might find the collection a bit less
4. Books you will find in Jarir Bookstore, and others as well and you can always get it through amazon
5. Shopping, closer is Bahrain, and that where most people do go if you want something particular
6. Sometimes sometimes not. but you will be fine as long as they are movies /songs. Explicit adult material will not be allowed
7. again it depends on times. Sometimes they are sometimes not. Depending on the mood of the customs guys
8. Depending on the compound there are apartment blocks within, as well as villas
9. Absolutely more expensive.

And more questions. feel free to ask them..

Cheers and All the best!

Nice one. Thanks.

I am British nurse working now in USA but would like to experience life in Saudi Arabia and visit the holy land of Makkah. Any advice for newbies like me? Where is the best hospital in terms of good working environment and benefits? All I hear are negative things about Saudi thats why it has taken me this long to fulfill my wishes of traveling and working there. Many thanks!
:)

Unless you are Muslim you won't get near Makkah!!

Be really sure before you come. Life is not easy for a single girl, well, at least until you have a good network of friends.

fish4angel wrote:

I am British nurse working now in USA but would like to experience life in Saudi Arabia and visit the holy land of Makkah.

i wish you could explain why !

as for the hospitals , depending on your experience, adding the environmental factor , i suggest trying Jeddah's hospital ,since i know only about riyadh , and this is a riyadh forum section , i suggest you try jedda's.

but why would u want to experience life in saudi ?