Buying property in Liberia

can a foreigner buy property in Liberia?

If so, is it complicated? What is the process of purchasing a property in Liberia?

Any tips for buying property, such as a check-list of items to verify ?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Only Liberians can buy property in Liberia, you can only lease.

Thank you for this info Libgirlmovingtobern! :)

Glad to know that you are discussing this topic. I want to buy an apartment in Monrovia, possibly under a name of a Liberian citizen. However, when I couldnt find the price for it.

I saw some picture of Luxury Apartment in Sinkor, Monrovia but it doesnt indicate prices. Can you please tell me the approximate price of an Apartment about 800 sqft. ( 2 bedroom/ Living room/Kitchen).

How hard is it for African Americans to gain Liberian citizenship and purchase land? Anyone have an idea? Are there any helpful listings for property sales?

[Moderated: Please post in the housing section]

be careful about purchasing land in Liberia.  because the records were destroyed, there are people selling land four times over.  You can read one such story here

Yes, a foreigner can buy a property in Liberia. I a lot of foreigners here in Liberia that bought properties while some of them lease. You can equally buy a land if you want to.

The processo f buying land is complicated and land fraud is rampant.  Foreigners cannot own land except naturalized citizens.  The Liberian constitution prohibits whites from owning land or becoming citizens (quite sad!)

"Article 27 (b) of the 1986 Constitution of the Republic of Liberia states that: “In order to preserve, foster and maintain the positive Liberian culture, values and character, only persons who are Negroes or of Negro descent shall qualify by birth or by naturalization to be citizens of Liberia.” With respect to the ownership of real property (i.e, land, immovable infrastructural capital like buildings, etc), Article 22 (a) of Liberia’s 1986 Constitution further states that “Every person shall have the right to own property alone as well as in association with others, provided that only Liberian citizens shall have the right to own real property within the Republic.” Article 22 (c and d) makes exceptions for non citizen missionary, educational, benevolent institutions, and foreign diplomatic missions, which may temporarily own real property as long as such property is used for the purpose(s) for which acquired. With this exception, the gist of Article 27 (a) and Article 22 (b) is that for the preservation of Liberian culture, only Negroes (or descendants of Negroes) can become Liberian citizens; and only citizens (who can only be Negroes and/or their descendants) can own real property.

Do you know of foreigners doing business in Liberia?

Foreigners cannot own land in Liberia.  Period.  Many buy land using a Liberian person as a front and then they lease the land for about  20 years or so.   There are so many people buying and selling and reselling the land that the land registry is now in a mess.

The first Constitution  Article V, section 2 states:  No person shall be entitled to hold real estate property in the Republic, unless he be a citizen of the same."  it also states that "no persons shall hold land or lots unless he resides in the settlement... and that no white person shall ever hold land in the colony."

Here is the new 1986 constitution : "Article 22

Every person shall have the right to own property alone as well as in association with others; provided that only Liberian citizens shall have the right to own real property within the Republic.

Article 27   a)

All persons who, on the coming into force of this Constitution were lawfully citizens of Liberia shall continue to be Liberian citizens.
In order to preserve, foster and maintain the positive Liberian culture, values and character, only persons who are Negroes or of Negro descent shall qualify by birth or by naturalization to be citizens of Liberia.

Yes, we have a very racist clause that only people of "Negro" descent can become citizens or own land in Liberia.  Read this article to see.   Many of our senators and now the Liberian council of churches have said they are against dual citizenship.  Imagine in this day and age.

Liberia: A Response to White Citizenship, the World is Changing Rapidly and Liberia Must Keep Pace with the Change

You can inbox me , As I am not Liberian but I do business in Liberia and also own a non profit organization with a few school. I focus on sending a few cars a year and own a local bar in Monrovia, Liberia is a small state where any dream on business can come true but you need the right network. and take control of investigation on any property that you interested in ....

I understand your idea of change but honesty be told.
if the rest of the world had the key to buy land in Liberia at the cheap rate in compare to other countries,
this will mean that a normal working Liberia will not be able to afford high price. and the economy is safe to help them rebuild the lost of everything, them need time to get together and when there are ready , we all will go and be a part of the change,,,,visit any other Africa city and buy land .... Liberia has its law ..Point

they is no normal reason why a America will leave his or her USA citizenship for Liberia citizenship...what do you seek so bad  that Liberia has to offer, course I am sure to remain USA but keep a clean documentation to work, live and studies in Liberia,,Be smart and create..I have a few house in Liberia on the same property in needed advise contact me ,,,by the way I am not Liberia ....

Yes, I am a foreign doing business in Liberia , its a good market and easy to operate any kind of business
I have 3 different operations there and it was a great move for myself

Hi there, Liberia do not have a racist clause,it is a bit an understatement. please check up the reason why that clause was put into the constitution. then you will know how to characterized Liberia. majority of the laws in Liberia was made to counter fight and erase the system of slavery and white supremacy. because of our slave background and the bad experiences,it was  in the eyes of every pioneers that came to Liberia never to experience any kind of slavery again. but on the other hand I agree with you that we have to move on. we can't change the laws,but we can amend the laws,because many of our brothers and sisters are marry with other nationals and they and their children should have the rights to own properties in Liberia.   
the system of not allowing expatriates not having rights  in Liberia, is all over Africa, check Ghana,Ivory Coast etc. I learn that during our civil wars, I always thought that because we have been so friendly and hospitable to our neighbors  that  we will get the same back in time of trouble,but I was wrong, I had bad,bad, experiences with the Ghanians,Ivorian,Sierra Leonean when they should have been helping us.

in the 70's expatriates had Liberia in their hands when its came to business and property wise but some of them abuse those opportunities and Liberians were crying over many Liberians own businesses and properties. I can go on and on with this, but we have to bring in a system that will benefit our unborn children when we are gone.
I still agree that we have to refurnish our laws to improve the system, but it should be collectively and not individually. so forget about what has happen and let us amend the law for the men to have double passports. this will bring in more revenue and stability for the people and the country. those people who are refusing this issue should be educated to the advantage and disadvantages. I think that they will understand. they are refusing because they want to protect the native people and I can reason with them owning where I came from. 

please be objectives in your opinion and let's us build Liberia

thks. dm

I am a British citizen and own a property  (5 bedroom house near coco beach) in Accra, Ghana, even I do not live there. In Ghana foreigners can own a property just like Ghanaians can.

Hi, how long in general would it take to sell a property in Sinkor?

Questions and answers about housing

Ask your question
Rent a flat or a house in Liberia
By Christine
By towersmusitini
By alvonis10
Urgent Request for Accomodation in Monrovia, Liberia
By towersmusitini
Looking for accomodation
By iabric
House for Rent Yr-2014
By Sidney101

Expatriate health insurance in Liberia

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Liberia

Moving to Liberia

Find tips from professionals about moving to Liberia

Travel insurance in Liberia

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Liberia

Flights to Liberia

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Liberia