Electrical Appliances Conversion

I am in the process of relocating to Manila. I have some very dear kitchen appliances and other electronics that I would like to take with me to Manila. Knowing that USA is 110 and Philippines is 220, how complicated is it to change the electrical components of the appliances to 220?
I am aware that I can use a transformer for such purpose but I am trying to avoid too many transformers in my home.
If I have 10 items that I would like to use and have them plugged, 10 transformers will not make sense.
So if I bring those appliances, can I find an electrician who can convert them to 220? Will this be costly? Or is there another method that someone can share with me?
Any input will be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

First of all if they are all kitchen appliances you most likely will not need 10 separate transformers.Oops I see now they are not all kitchen appliances. Do you normaly have them all plugged in and operating at the same time? Due to current sags and surges many people unplug appliances not actually in use.

Your first problem might very well be finding enough outlets you will find most housing in the Philippines has fewer outlets than a place in the US.

It is difficult to say how easily they can be converted to 220V without knowing what they are. At some place on each appliance is a label that tells what the Voltage range the input is. It is possible some are already 220V. More and more things are being made now that will run on 110 to 240V.

In some areas of the Philippines 110V is available. You will have to check on that when you find where you will live.

I hope that was some help to you. 8-)

We use transformers for our U.S. appliances, and its really convenient.  It seems to me that it would be a hassle to convert the appliances themselves. We live in a condo and have an adequate number of outlets.

Unfortunately, we don't have the 110v option that is available in some buildings. But over time as our U.S. electrical items wear out, we replace them with local 220v applances, so it works out OK.

Thank you all for your advises, I greatly appreciate it.
I didn't give up on my appliances, movers packed them up already.
I am so looking forward to my life in Philippines. Leaving NYC on July 4th!!!
Thanks again!

well its quite easy to convert the 220v power line to 110 volts. any electrician can do that for you. your electrician can easily install a 110 line beside your 220 line..

thanks for posting. I am here in Manila, all my 110 appliances work because there is 110 and 220 outlet available throughout the apartment.
Unfortunately i sold a lot of my stuff before i left USA, i wish i knew before i move.
Thanks anyway.

your welcome:D

Actually the house supply in the philippines is   (Twin Phase) I discovered that when I was in manila This June 2010. It may not be easy to adapt a twin supply with 2 lines of 110Volt which will have a seperate neutral
I learned the hard way. I found it strange why I get a shock from both terminals in my comsumer unit. I was even wondering how the system worked. Incidently, I am a retired electrician and technician. If you take one of the live lines of you house current and use the second wire  (freshly implemented) as a neutral. The second wire then is the return to the 110 Volt supply. The second wire must have a very secure grounding Metal pipes underground will make a good secondary conductor.

I am also planning to remodel my house I inherit from my parents. My electrical is outdated. I plan to have 220 volt & 110 volt outlet. I will bring with me a 110 volt wiring, outlet, fuses & 110 volt breaker. The difference between 220 ( has 4 wiring) & 110 ( has 3 wiring ). So there will be 2 breaker. 1st is 220 volt with 4 wiring and 120 volt with 3 wiring going to their respective outlet. A license electrian can install this easily once he see the 110 breaker. My caoacity is not more than 200 amp. Thanks

I stayed in a place with both 120 and 240 sockets, but no-one told me. I assumed they were all normal 240.

I complained when the appliances didn't work, but was then told that all the appliances must be plugged into 240 sockets.  Not much help as the sockets were not marked as 120/240.  I had to guess.

Why do the Americans use 120 ?  I am genuinely curious.  And why do some places in the Philippines have 110/120v sockets when they sell only 240v appliances.?

The problem with having a 110/240 in the same house is that the maid will invariably plug in the 110 into a 240 and poof.

110v is marginally safer and US started with 110 so difficult to switch to 240 when the rest of the world did.