Buying property in Spain

Hi,

can a foreigner buy property in Spain?

If so, is it complicated? What is the process of purchasing a property in Spain?

Any tips for buying property, such as a check-list of items to verify ?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Christine

Hi Christine
A foreigner can buy property in Spain and very many people do, as investment, second home, etc. It can be complicated, depending on where you are buying and from whom. The worst problem is if the deeds to the property aren't properly up to date. If it's an old property, for instance and it belonged to deceased parents, the heirs haven't registered it in their joint names, or one brother wants to sell and the other doesn't.
You have probably heard horror tales of foreigners being conned into buying illegally-built houses, which they then lose without compensation. This does, unfortunately, sometimes happen with new  houses at the coast, but is seldom the case with older properties inland.
When you have found a property you like, you have to pay a 10%  deposit, which is non-refundable if you later pull out of the deal, and the paper work is done by a "gestor"  (accountant/conveyancer) and the final transfer deeds drawn up by a notary, both of whom charge a percentage of the purchase price for their services - probably around 15% in total, so you will need about 25% to start. These figures are only approximate, though!
There is a very good book by David Hampshire, Buying a home in Spain which explains everything very well.The copy I have is dated 2005, but I'm sure there's a newer version.
I run a small agency in north-western Andalucia, so the rules I know about are for southern Spain and they may be somewhat different  in other parts, but I think in general they are similar throughout the country.
I hope this helps you. If you have other questions, I'd be glad to try and answer them.
Good luck!
Best wishes
Valerie

Hi Valerie!

Thanks for your help ;)

Armand

Hey there,

I recently bought a house in Spain. At first I wasnŽt too sure whether buying was a good idea, as I live abroad, Though, I came accross a few articles on the internet, and one in particular with good advice on how to buy a property in Spain.  I went through a company that helped me deal with all the paperwork. Based in Barcelona, and is called Tas Consultoria. They have loads of different blog topics on their website, maybe that could help.
tas-consultoria.com/blog-en/buy-property-spain/

Good Luck! and if I can help, let me know.