I'm looking to move to Cape Verde

Hey Guys,

My name is Jamar Lee and I hail all the way from San Francisco. Long story short I did some research of my ancestry a couple of years ago and found to have Guinea Bissau (Fula). I was happy to find this out because now I feel like I have a sense of identity. After doing much research I found Guinea Bissau to be unstable at the moment which brings me to Cape Verde! I realize that Cape Verde and Guinea Bissau share a common history (both former Portuguese colonies). The idea of being able to get that much closer to discovering my roots is unbelievable. I've decided next year to make the leap and move. I want to move to Cape Verde because I've read so many positive things about the country... starting with beautiful landscape, beautiful people, friendly people! Also Cape Verde is close to Guinea Bissau in which although I don't see myself living in Guinea Bissau, I most certainly would like to visit, but have a living base set up in Cape Verde. So from this brief introduction, I have a couple of questions below and would really be grateful for any and all feedback:

1. What is the cost of living in Cape Verde? I will have roughly $25K USD and looking to make this last for a year.. In general I'm looking for middle class type of living.

2. Which island is recommended to live on? I hear Santiago is a pretty good spot but also Sao Vicente!

3. I don't want to sit around and do nothing! I definitely want to do something with my time there and that would mean Volunteering for an organization... Are there any organizations based on Cape Verde that I can volunteer my time?

4. I don't speak Creole nor Portuguese but desperately want to learn and immerse in the culture... is there anyone out there that can help me learn or volunteer their services for a fee of course to get me going speaking the language?

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read this and hope to hear from many of you... also if any of you live on the islands or plan to live there, would love to connect with some of you!

Hi Jamar.

If you are moving to Cape Verde from San Francisco, don't make the mistake of moving to São Vicente for a year as a start unless you want to be bored to tears after two weeks. Cape Verde is a tiny country and São Vicente is a tiny island within the tiny country with only 70,000 resident living on it. It's a romantic notion, but trust me because I made that mistake ... you will regret doing so.

The place you have to be is Praia on the island of Santiago. It is the largest island and has half the population. Everything happens in Santiago. If you were a foreigner going to America for a year, would you go to Podunk, Mississippi to see what America is all about ... or San Fransisco, CA? Don't get me wrong, São Vicente and all the islands are nice ... but you can always go visit them from Praia.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Angelo
238-972-7157

Hi Quincy,

Thank you very much for the feedback... I really appreciate it. I will definitely take that advise. I read your message but realized that they deleted quite a bit of information your were offering me. If you don't mind, could you relay this information to me again in my email? If so, its [email protected], would really be interested in learning more about those job opportunities... all the best.

Hi Angelo

My name is Chibuzor and i wish to move to cape verde for business opportunity, so i wish to know more about this country having considering your experience there.
get back to me immediately
thanks

Hi Chibuzor,

I just answered the identical question which was posted in the topic "Starting your own business in Cape Verde". Go check out my response, I gave several examples of lucrative small and large businesses you can start here.

If you decide to start a business and you arrive in Cape Verde, simply send me a private email for further information about the actual process of business start-up in the country. It's easy and quite inexpensive to start a business, but you will need a checklist and you'll also need names and addresses of where to go to execute the steps.

Good luck.

Angelo

romybest wrote:

Hi Angelo

My name is Chibuzor and i wish to move to cape verde for business opportunity, so i wish to know more about this country having considering your experience there.
get back to me immediately
thanks

hi angelo
thanks for your quick respond, actually, i would love to be there for at least 3months to look around before deciding what business to do.

so i need your help to start the move for the travel, having understand that cape verde is a free visa to Nigeria citizen. Also i did not see your email address to write you to inbox.
thanks
Chibuzor

Chibuzor,

To contact any user, just click on their profile. Then you will have a new page where you will see a button to send a private message.

Angelo

romybest wrote:

hi angelo
thanks for your quick respond, actually, i would love to be there for at least 3months to look around before deciding what business to do.

so i need your help to start the move for the travel, having understand that cape verde is a free visa to Nigeria citizen. Also i did not see your email address to write you to inbox.
thanks
Chibuzor