Moving to Baku Living Options and Dogs

I have received a job offer in Baku, and have many questions, but some revolve around my dog.  I have an English Setter, (48 lbs) and am wondering if I could bring her with me, (how are dogs received, travel processes) and where would be ideal to live, given that I would need to walk her and would want that to be as convenient and safe as possible.  I also love to run, and would like to be somewhere that this was possible

I was in Baku for a week in October, but was so busy with the interviews that I did not get to explore some of the aspects of living in Baku.

I greatly appreciate any information and experience you might share----Janine

Hello Janine!

Welcome to Expat.com ;)

Armand

Hello Jannine,

Yes, you can bring your dog to Azerbaijan and I know it's not easy getting info but the following is what I have managed to pick up on the Internet:

You will need an a Veterinary Certificate stating that the pet is healthy, free of parasites, and free of diseases communicable to humans. This certificate should be signed by your veterinarian not more than 15 days prior to travel.

You will need a vaccination certificate.

Your pet must also have a rabies vaccination at least 30 days prior to travel but not more than 12 months prior to entering Azerbaijan. You may be charged a fee at the time you enter Azerbaijan of approximately $70. Azerbaijan does not require that your pet be micro chipped but it is highly recommended and your airline may require it.

Please remember that all original documentation listed above must travel with the pets. Upon arrival in Baku, your pet and the relevant documents will be examined by a vet at the airport.
Azerbaijan does not quarantine healthy pets with proper documents.

Azerbaijan is pet friendly country and has several reliable vet clinics to choose from.

The most commonly found pets in local pet stores are dogs, cats, birds and fish but other kinds of animals such as guinea pigs, turtles etc. can also be found. The later ones are rarer as they are not often purchased by Azeris.

Azerbaijan only has pet kennels for cats, these are safe and trustworthy. However, pet owners usually ask their friends or family to look after their furry friend while they are on holiday – some even ask a pet store for help.

Buying pet food and accessories is no problem, especially in Baku where there is at least one pet store in each district.

For more information on having a pet in Azerbaijan, or if you would like to book your pet's specific relocation with Move One, please contact us at [email protected]. One of our dedicated animal relocation agents will follow up with you shortly with a quote tailor-made to your needs.

Of cousre the big unknown is the costs. This is something you'd have to figure for yourself. If it helps, a couple of years ago, we brought our cat from the UK to Cyprus and the transport for the cat was about the equivalent of $1000.00. If you were to ask me for a ballpark figure for bringing your dog here from washington D.C. then I don't think you'd get much change out of $2000.00. Also, in the UK, pets are issued with a pet passport. If they are issued in the States then get one. Our cat was also micro-chipped.

Hope this helps.
Ian

Hi Ian-Thank you, this is very helpful.  I am beginning to explore my living options, and one person from the University said that the only person they have had there that brought a dog (from Bulgaria) was turned out by her landlord, as her dog barked and caused a disturbance that others complained about.

I think this is the most difficult issue, choosing a place to live without being able to see it in advance.  I have tried using Google earth, but haven't been able to figure out much.  The school just gave me a contact who helps to identify the apartments, and it was suggested that I stay near Officers Park, as that is where the new campus is.

It sounds like the older buildings have a lot of drawbacks.  I am still trying to figure out how many miles or km it is between the main plaza and Officer's Park, and how far it is from the Officer's Park area to the sea.  It would be easier if I were within walking distance of the campus, I think, but as you have mentioned, to have a driver for when I need one. A lot of unknowns, but I will figure it out, or make it work after I get there.  I don't know if there are any of the shorter (fewer stories) buildings that are new in the Officer's Park area. The entire campus will be new, and will have green space.

Best regards,

Janine

Hi Janine,

Well, what I can tell you is that Officers Park complex is 14 kms from Baku city centre, so it's quite a way out. You would have to tell me where the 'main plaza' is or what it is. Is there no way you could stay at the campus (with your dog)? Because looking at the location of the school, you are miles from any decent living accommodation. Apart from staying in or around the campus / Officers Park area, then you're looking at staying in town and commuting every day. Here in town there are plenty of small parks where I see people out strolling with their dogs; for me this would be the best option.

Sorry I can't be much more help.

Best wishes,
Ian

I believe it is referred to as "fountain Plaza"?  ( where the  large plaza area is, with the carousel, the modern looking resteraunts, etc.  is that what you refer to as city center? 

14 km is a long way.

Hi Janine,

Ah, Fountain Square!!!!! Yes, that is what is generally regarded as the 'city centre' although technically it is well away from the actual centre of the city. No, Fountain Square is what we would call the hub of the city, a focal point from where you explore all the shops, bars, restaurants, the Old City, etc. For me it is the best area of Baku to live. Plus you are just a stone's throw away from the Boulevard, the two-mile walking precinct along the seaside. In the summer it's really great!

Best wishes,
Ian

yes Baki is the best.but l want to live USA))