Jerusalem flatshare

Hi,

is it popular to share a flat in Jerusalem ?

What advice would you give to those looking for shared accommodation in Jerusalem?

Can you recommend specialized local websites or newspapers?

By the way, keep in mind there is a flat share/house share section in the Classifieds ;)

Thank you in advance for your participation and advice!

Christine

Living in a shared flat in Jerusalem can be quite easy or extremely difficult. I will start with the latter one:
a) more than 50% of the flats in jerusalem ( i visited) follow to some extent the kashrut rules. If the applicant is not Jewish, chances to get a room in a shared flat are minimal. Of course , the flatmates could be shabbat observants so again, a non-jew would have minimal changes of getting a room. Of course, the the apartment is very bad and unreasonable expensive, one might get the room but...a crappy one.
b) If you are a man, its more tricker than for girls. But that I guess its universal.
c) places to look for: www.yad2.co.il and www.homeless.co.il
Unfortunatelly, they are in Hebrew only, so the applicant might need someone to translate. However, a basic google translate copy-paste would do to find if the person fits basic requirements (kashrut / shabat shomer) and gender.
One can also go to real estate angecies but those would charge you 1 month rent for the service of showing you flats (and NOT rooms in a flat).

Another option is to rent a flat and start your own flat-sharing but that could be difficult if the person does not read / speak Hebrew - bills , problems with janitors, etc etc.

Prices: from 1,400 NIS / month (excl taxes, utilities) - 2 people in a flat - 2,500 NIS / month (excl taxes, utilities). Mind that the price increase does not necesarily translate into a better flat but rather a better located (aka central jerusalem, historical part, etc etc). For 3 people in flat, prices are 2-300 NIS less than in the case of 2 people in a flat.

If you are Jewish, 80% of the problems are solved and getting a decent room is a matter of 3 week search to get 4-5 offers to choose from
At the moment I am writing this , 1 USD ~ 3.2 NIS.

Hi fiara!

Thanks for helping ;)

Armand