Bringing money out of the airport

Was told there's a need to do a declaration if we bring out more than 5k usd from the country at the airport.

Question is, how to do it and where exactly to do it?

What are the documents we need to bring along?

Can we do it earlier like 1 week before the flight to ensure we have all the paperworks?

tq

Proof of where that money came from, ie. salary, other income or if you originally brought it into VN.  All can be done at departure

ANYONE leaving this until departure at the airport needs their heads checked UNLESS you want to (1) lose the money OR (2) Skip the flight and stay over a few days.

(A) Where did the money come from;
(B) How many adults (over 18) are travelling?
(4) Why are you carrying cash?

Te safest way to transmit funds is by way of bank transfer. It can't get stolen as can happen with cash.

I travel regularly overseas from VietNam, with money, so I have some knowledge of procedures, and other things.

Message me the answers to those questions (along with your cell number) and I'll get back to you.

The authoritative answer to how to transmit funds legally obtained in VietNam is the main branch of the VietComBank in Q1 (Pasteur and the East-West Highway) OPEN Monday through Friday.

thanks crackhead and Jaitch for the info.

i am working here in HCMC as an employee and the money comes from my employment. i do have a work contract, work permit and salary slip. usually i travel out with my wife and 1 year old baby.

does this means with all the documents, i can bring out more than 5k?

tq again

kryptonite123 wrote:

thanks crackhead and Jaitch for the info.

i am working here in HCMC as an employee and the money comes from my employment. i do have a work contract, work permit and salary slip. usually i travel out with my wife and 1 year old baby.

does this means with all the documents, i can bring out more than 5k?

tq again

If you have all these docs. you have every right to bring the cash out with you. The law though poorly enforced here, works better for the foreigner.  If it's below $5k, you don't need to prove anything.

BUT, as advised by almost everyone I know, it's always better to do a bank transfer.  The only reason which I assume why you don't do that, is because idiot Malaysian banks do not allow you to withdraw that cash back out in US$, correct ?  Maybe you could set up an account in Singapore ?

One thong companies based overseas but operating in VietNam can do, if they transfer money into VietNam is to make funds available to you outside VietNam and you give them your funds.

My employer actually pays me within VN and also deposits money in an account I have outside the country. I decide on the split every 6 months. It is not a tax avoidance scheme rather it eliminates the hassles you are experiencing.

You should visit VietComBank (there is an English speaking receptionist on the RH side of the door and she will direct you to the desk that knows about these things) as they will give you a definitive answer, along with any forms and even tell you how to transmit the money safely. It also means if you are lacking any forms or documents you have time to get them.

Leaving this until the last minute, at the airport (where the least risky answer is NO), when you are busy trying to travel with junior is the least smart option.

VietComBank is a info source for other banks, if they say it's OK (get the persons name and telephone number) it's OK. When at the airport, and that you have been told it's legal, means you won't even act guilty. And I wouldn't even mention it unless asked.

You and your wife each are entitled to the current allowance, junior isn't!

Hope this helps.

Hi again,

It's been a useful tip. I will go to Vietcombank to check this out.

Crackhead is right - Malaysian banks dont allow me to withdraw in USD and once i transfer to Malaysia, i lost a lot in conversions.

I never know that they only consider USD5k per adult and not per person. Luckily i didnt carry 15k usd, only 10k usd everytime i fly out.

Hi Jaitch, Vietcomm bank told me 5 years ago that I could transfer back to Australia an equivalent amount. They are now telling me I can't transfer any money out, can't even deposit any money into my account. What gives can you give me any advice.
Cheers Stephen

UCDALOI wrote:

Hi Jaitch, Vietcomm bank told me 5 years ago that I could transfer back to Australia an equivalent amount. They are now telling me I can't transfer any money out, can't even deposit any money into my account. What gives can you give me any advice.
Cheers Stephen

The thread you have posted on is over 3 years old and jaitch has been banned from the forum. I suggest that you post a new thread on the subject.

UCDALOI wrote:

Cheers Stephen

This topic has been mentioned many times.

personally, I replied in this forum a few times too. Probably some links from my avatar link might direct you to some of the latest discussions.