Basic Expenses - Gothenburg

Dear Expats,

I was collecting some information of the basic living expenses in Goteborg for my friend who wish to move-in with his family. Since, I feel its useful info, I wish to share the same with other members for their future references;

Accommodation prices range from SEK 2,500 to SEK 4,500 for a room. (Prices in SEK at 2011 levels. 1 Euro = approx. SEK 10)

In most restaurants and bars, a beer will cost you SEK 40-50 (EUR 4-5 ), a glass of wine perhaps a little more. Dinner starts at around SEK 100-150 (EUR 10-15) drinks not included. Eating out at lunchtime is cheaper; expect to pay somewhere around SEK 55-85 for a meal including a soft drink, salad and tea/coffee.

An average monthly budget is set out below to give you some idea of the cost of living in Sweden.

Food: SEK 2,000.
Accommodation: SEK 4,000.
Local travel: SEK 500.
Telephone/internet: SEK 300.
Clothing, hobby/leisure, other: SEK 800.
Total: SEK 7,600, or about EUR 800.

Please also note that when applying for a residence permit, you must prove to the Swedish Migration Board that you will have a guaranteed sum of money at your disposal throughout the entire period of your stay. The amount, SEK 7,600 per month for ten months of the year, is set by the Migration Board. If you wish to bring your family you must show that you have at your disposal an additional SEK 3,000 per month for your spouse and SEK 1,800 per month per child.

WORKING IN SWEDEN:
Sweden's labor shortage list is published twice a year. It is an official list based on statistics that predict the country's future labor needs in relation to expected graduates and retirements.

If your profession is on the list, your chance of finding an available job in Sweden increases. It also means you can apply for a work and residence permit from within Sweden without returning to your home country first.

For further information regarding each occupation's current situation you can browse through the following link;

sweden.se/eng/Home/Work/Get-a-job/Labor-shortage-list

Hope the above information is helpful.

Cheers :-))

Vijesh

Many Thanks Vijesh for your tips, I am saving them on my tablet :)
I would appreciate if you know a website from it I can check If I have a valid personnummer or not !! I already applied in the Skatverket but I am out of Sweden for the time being for buis.

Thanks again
Mina

Hello Mina,

Skatteverket is very typical of their working procedures. They mostly like to be addressed over a telephone call or then a personal visit to their office.

However you can try your luck by sending an e-mail to the the Skatteverket office you applied to for the personal number. For example if you applied from the Stockholm office then send email to - [email protected]

Other offices include;
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Though its tough getting through the automated Swedish helpline but it really helps much faster than an email. The contact number you should try when abroad is;

46 856485160

When in Sweden call: 0771-567 567

Its just that being an expat we need to adhere to the systems and procedures of Sweden. Can't complain much.

Best of luck

Vijesh :-)

Thanks Vijesh for the prompt response, I will give a try by email since I already tried by phone and i failed :)

Mina

Hi Vijesh,

I'm from India now working in ShangHai, China. I got an Offer from a company in Gothenburg and I'll be joining them during the first week of September. I would like to know about the process/procedure  of renting an house/apartment in Gothenburg. I'm not looking for anything in the city as it might be expensive. Kindly share your idea and if possible your contact number to dicuss more about moving to Gothenburg Sweden.

Regards,
George.[/justify]

Hello George.

Welcome to Expat.com!

This post is dated 2011. :rolleyes:

You may start a new thread on the Gothenburg forum for more interaction and post your questions as well. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie