6 months rental contract in HCMH

Dear Expats,

Was wondering if anyone can help my friend and I by providing us with a general idea of how a 6 months rental contract works in HCMC.
-Do many landlords offer 6 months contract and if they do, are there any additional costs involved?

Also, if there are any apartments (2 BR) available for rent around District 5, preferably on Cao Dat Street or any street nearby 126 Hung Vuong Street. We are both teachers searching for an apartment where we do a 6 months lease only. We can move in as soon as possibile - by 24 November 2011.

We are willing to pay 500 USD - 600 USD per month. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi Vickha,

6-month rental contracts are a little harder to find, but not impossible.  Generally, there is a deposit involved.  How much depends on how well you know the landlor or how high you are willing to go with the monthly rent.  Put your charming face on and negotiate.

For that term and that price range, you might also want to look into one of the near by mini hotels.  That is also very attractive.

Good luck,
Howie

Traditionally Landlords prefer longer rentals as they pay one month rent as commission to the leasing agent. However religiously checking Craig's list VietNam - both apartment and room rentals you might get lucky. Remember there are many web sites also advertising rentals.

Why not try advertising yourself, most rental agents troll the sites.

Landlords are being squeezed at the moment as Tenants are a little scarce and mortgage interest is rocketing upwards.

Try to get an apartment where YOU can pay the 'management' fee. Usually the landlords slap a $50 or whatever charge on top of the rent that covers water (VND12,000 cubic metre), garbage charge, building common expenses and, occasionally a genuine management fee. Other charges include cable TV ($5/month) and InterNet. here is so much free InterNet WiFi around you might not need a feed. I have always come out on top with my paying the management fee.

EVN is the sole legal seller of electricity in VietNam, landlords can include it, but they cannot sell it by quantity.

The biggest kicker is usually the 2 months deposit + first months rent fora total hit of three months in all as you walk in the door.

Some landlords decide they will stiff you for tax, just say you will need a tax receipt so your employer can claim. This is usually the last you hear about tax.

It's remarkable how landlords around the world are so similar.

P.S. 2 B/R apartments should be around $400-500 plus M-fee.

If you are an expat then the local landlords are always tried to price the rent high or hit you with all the little fees.  An alternative is to rent a room with other expats already in VN.

I have 2 rooms available in District 1, Tran Quang Khai street (near Hai Ba Trung).  It is about 20min to Hung Vuong street in D5.

1 Master, 1 regular.  Both have full size baths, fully furnished, wifi, cabled TV and utilities included.
Close to coffee shops, market, schools, shopping.  15 min to airport.
Master $375/mo. Regular $325/mo.  If you are staying long-term, then I'm willing to give you a deal.

If you are interested email me at [email protected].  I live and work in Vietnam for several years doing software and can help you out with local stuff if needed.

have you found a room?