Health Services

I've checked what's available here on this topic - not a lot. So some tough questions for the experts!

DOCTOR
How do I acquire TB?
There is a doctor service for the apartment block I live in. Name and address printed on notice board. Should I look elsewhere for an English speaking doctor - is there a local catchment area system? All I need presently is regular prescriptions for statins (£18 x month's supply at pharmacy, without prescription).

Should I acquire TB?
There is a system for UK expats - fill in a form S1.
Quote: "you may be eligible for up to two-and-a-half years of state healthcare, paid for by the UK... The S1 (or E106) will entitle you to treatment on the same basis as a resident of the country you are moving to. This may mean that you have to make a patient contribution toward the cost of your care."
I'm not sure this will be any advantage financially. Perhaps TB is the best route.
Any views?

DENTIST
I actually want implants, plus other stuff. I'm not prepared to pay the prices of dentists targeting the foreign market. Dentist websites in magyar for the domestic market indicate cheaper prices. Can I take advantage of this? Would the TB help at all?

OPTICIAN
I've spoken with a fairly upmarket medium-sized optician that contracts with Zeiss for lenses. Also been to a tiny shop, only Magyar spoken, where they priced varifocal lenses at about £100, but with a prescription from doctor, I think because doctor needed to do the eye test. Any advice welcome.

I went for an eye test just before I left UK but would be interested to hear of expat experiences with opticians in Hungary. I'm told there are eye tests where you don't have to say anything, everything is measured by computer. When I got my prescription I asked if the lens specifications followed an international system but the optician didn't know.

fidobsa wrote:

would be interested to hear of expat experiences with opticians in Hungary

I have had my eyes tested and prescriptions filled in the US, Switzerland and Hungary. Excellent results in each place. And I have a complicated prescription.

In neither Switzerland nor Hungary was English used to any great extent; the local language predominated in the conversation.

Thanks for the two contributions.

I'm a little disappointed that no further info has been forthcoming on this - my - topic.

For example, on how to acquire the Tarsadalombiztositas insurance for medical services and whether I could qualify.

Does no-one know nothing (Hungarian double negative) on this subject?

Hi,

I looked these things up to some detail a month ago, and summarized my findings in a posting here somewhere.
I still remember the system is very complicated: if legally you work for a Hungarian employer, you are not even considered foreigner from "TB" perspective, they pay your insurance the same way as ours, you just have a different piece of paper to prove your coverage.

Again a different set of special cases if you are legally a student of a Hungarian school.

Yet again another can of worms if you are married to a Hungarian.

And so on.

Oh, and the correct Hungarian term is "Nobody doesn't know nothing" : "Senki nem tud semmit".

Many thanks, szocske. I'll try to locate the previous posting. I do need to sort out where I stand.

I suspect not having an employer, or Hungarian national insurance number, or official residency documents is a problem.

Further research indicates I need to contact the Orszagos Egeszsegbiztositasi (OEP) as they issue the TAJ-szám. That should be fun.

The OEP has a huge office by Arpad Bridge, which looks very professional and well organized. About a year ago everyone who did not want their private pension savings donated to the state had to go there personally in one week, and they handled the crowd great. I was in and out in 10 minutes.

One guy showing up speaking English is nothing compared to that :-)