ATM Withdrawals

Do you know if cash machines have a lower withdrawal limit for foreign bank accounts than Hungary based accounts? Yesterday I went to town and wanted to get money from a UK account rather than my OTP account, to take advantage of the favourable exchange rates.
I tried 4 machines in all, 3 of them being OTP ATMs. The OTP machines list 150,000 Ft as one of the menu amounts so that's what I selected but was refused each time. I assumed  at first that the machines were low on cash and perhaps only dispensing smaller sums. At the third refusal I tried my OTP card and duly received my 150,000 Ft. At the next machine I tried again with the UK card but only requested 50,000 Ft, which I got.

Many banks have foreign withdraw limits.

Did you tell your UK bank you were in Hungary?

And did you request them to raise the allowed limit of foreign withdraws while you were in Hungary?

Yes, I notified the bank of my change of address so they should not regard me as a UK customer who happens to be in Hungary.

Good. Your bank knows you are out of the UK.

But that was only half of my question. Did you ask them to increase your withdraw limit while out of the UK? You may have to do that explicitly. If you did, the ask at OTP about it. I have know the network to break down at times which reduced an allowed withdraw.

My UK bank is Santander. They definitely have a maximum £300 day limit on ATM cash withdrawals. I believe this applies to most UK banks. Hadn't thought of asking them to raise the limit. Perhaps they'd agree, perhaps they wouldn't.

Ah, the UK account in question was also Santander so that explains it. My Clydesdale account allows £500 withdrawals from machines and I assumed that was the standard these days. Thanks for the replies.:top: