VACCINATIONS

If have been to the Pasteur Institute in HCMC for vaccinations, but according to them it is not necessary to be vaccinated for any tropical disease. Is this true, if not or where can I get the necessary vaccinations? I live in the Mekong Delta.

I hope somebody can help me.
Eric

Eric, you might be able to get the information you want concerning Vietnam from this link:

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/vietnam.htm

Eric:
Rest easy, and save your money.

I have lived here in VietNam for 20 years and have never, ever taken injections. My home is in DakLak, very close to Gia Lai's notorious mozzie population that is good for 6 months a year. I  am not medically qualified but my experience/knowledge has taught me a few things.

The risks you face in the Mekong are Malaria and Dengue, from mosquitoes, and rabies, from dogs and bats. The Central Highlands have the added Japanese Encephalitis, so named because is was identified by a doctor from Japan.

The official line from the Ministry of Health is that they don't act nationwide against any mosquito borne diseases.

There are mosquito's carrying malaria and Dengue fever flying around HCMC.

The main thing to do is be aware of yourself and surroundings. Use mosquito coils, and nets. By this I mean know if you have been bitten and keep an eye of yourself for symptoms (Google can supply you with details - mainly headaches and temperatures). My experience is that VN doctors and health practitioners know more practical knowledge than the SOS doctors.

You can see a VN doctor for about VND50,000 in non-city settings. In areas not populated with tourists you can also use VN hospitals, for a fee.

Keep nets in good repair. If you live in a heavily infected area Duct Taping windows effectively seals them.

Personal hygiene and dress is important. The 'cheese' smell of dirty feet attracts mozzies. It is important to clean your feet and change your socks daily. Vietnamese don't usually wear socks so they don't have such a problem. Wearing full length pants and long sleeved shirts/blouses at dawn and dusk, the main feeding times for female mozzies, helps reduce your real estate exposed to them.

Bats usually only take a blood sample when you are quiescent, such as when you are sleeping, and there easy easy access as through an open window.

In closing, diarrhoea is another challenge, also 'upset stomachs'. The Vietnamese consume a vegetable drink called (phonetically) "Reau Mau". It is available all over, if you look for the signs, and is made by the vendor who grinds up the leaves and puts it in iced water every day. About VND5,000 and far better than any commercial product. It is consumed as a'beverage' by many people.

The Family Doctor Clinic, founded by an ex-NGO doctor, in HCMC, will be happy to take your money for injections, but honestly it's not needed.

Trust Pasteur, they like moey just as much as any other clinic. The DIFFERENCE between Pasteur and any other clinic is that they are HONEST and consider the patient before their bank account.

Dit is wat ze er in Nederland van vinden:
vaccinatiesopreis.nl/inentingen-vietnam

You can go to Columbia Hospital or Victoria. Get a Hepatitis injection cause many food here is not cooked properly. Also, get injection against rabbist.