New Member - Moving to Phuket - Help!

Hey folks,

I'm moving to Phuket from Scotland in around 5 weeks and have never actually been before.  Its a broad topic i know but if anyone has any advice/tips for me on socialing, meeting people and generally life on Phuket i would greatly appreciate it!

Many Thanks
Jen

Jen,

What are you going to do there?  There are lots of different locations and things to do and see in Phuket...

Many people think it's just a beach, but there's a lot to Phuket.

Hi There

I'm going to be an event manager for a golfing company and will be staying near Kathu.  I have been to Koh Samui before but never Phuket so i guess i just dont know what to expect!  I mean...do you see it as somewhere easy to fit in and settle?

Phuket is a lovely area to live in...not one of the cheapest in the country, for sure...and there is the inevitable "trashiness" that comes from being a tourist destination, but aside from the touristy areas, Phuket is very much like many other places in Thailand.

Enjoy the new adventure...and unless you love having your mouth burned by chillies over and over, learn the phrase, "mai phet", which means 'not spicy'.

The West coast is full of trust-fund babies, Eurotrash, and backpackers.  The center and south of the island is where more of the real Thais and integrated farangs live. IMHO.  Spend some time off the beach to see the real Phuket.

Hi Jenny,
Kathu is in the center of the island, within the Phkuet hills.
find a place not far from your job but still close to some interesting areas. Phuket Town is lovely at night time, lot of expats start to go there more and more to get out of the toruisty places. In Bangtao (Cherngtalay) there is also a good expat community and nice atmosphere, but the territory is more spread out and more difficult to find a meeting point.
As I said in another post, join the chickynet, my girlfriend did and we had lot of benefits in terms of information and meeting other people. It's for women only.
See you in Phuket!