I need a Dog.

I am staying in a house in Accra and I'm looking to buy or addopt a big-breed dog.  It will have a loving home with 2 boys age 9 and 16 to play with.  Where can I buy or addopt a dog?  Is there a SPCA in Ghana?  This animal can be a puppy or fully grown.  I hope someone can help me.

Hi Russel of Russians, I invite you to take a look at the Accra classifieds > community section/ pets.
You may even post an advert there.;)

Hope it helps,
Harmonie.:)

Apart from the pathetic little bundles being held up as I drive down Spintex Road and also near Airport Shell, I am not sure there are any places that actually sell dogs.
In the invaluable No Worries book there is a place in Dzorwulu called Last Chance which sounds like it has animals for sale - not sure if that includes dogs - phone 0302786499, 0208154159.
I also think I have seen dogs for sale advertised on the boards at Game and Shoprite in the Mall.

Thank you very much.  I'll keep my eyes on those boards.

A Timothy Miller contacted me via my expat-blog email and told me about his friend who will be relocating and want to leave his dogs behind.  So I contacted his friend.  He has an English Bulldog, Shepherd Dog and a Yorkshire terrier.  He want to give these puppies away and wants no money.  All I need to pay is the airfare for the puppies from Kenya.  I need to send him the Dollars.  I said that my husband is in Kenya and can go to his house to look at these puppies.  Low and behold...he emails me back to tell me he flew back to the UK and is now in the UK with the puppies but can I urgently send him my address and contact numbers (and obviously the $$)  This man is also on facebook and was in Cambridge Highschool as well as Cambridge University.  Yes right.  This is people that surfs our Expat.com to pick up gullible people.  Please be warned.

Amazing! Some people will use any sort of ruse to get money - you always need to be aware.

You could try 'the vets place' in Airport Residential are they have pups for sale from time to time.  If not they will probably be able to put you in touch with someone or keep an eye out for one for you.

Thank you very much.  After warning about the Nigerian scam (wanting me to pay the courier service for a puppy from Kenya and the London I've not heard anything back from "Timothy Miller or his Nigerian friend)  You should see the Grammar.  Oh my Goodness!

Hi I can get you a German puppies. what about that, just email me. [email protected]

Kin regards Emmanuel.

Thanks Emmanual, and where do you stay?  If I have to fly puppies in from any other country then I would prefer to fly my own South African dogs in.  I am looking for a dog that was born in Ghana and who is currently staying in Ghana.

I am sure that's the last you hear from Emmanuel and his dogs or puppies.

This is 1 of the emails I got from this "English gentleman" who went to "Cambridge-Highschool and Cambridge University"  Obvoiusly I noticed right away that this was a Nigerian.

Dear *&^%#
Thanks for the mail of interest our dogs,We have Shepherd Dog,Yorkshire Terrier and English bulldog  and they are name Sparky and Zuni. They are vet checked, the wormed, home trained and hand fed.She is also current on all shots and comes with a 1year health guarantee.
They have  kids play mate and also goes green with other pets. I am really looking for a forever home for them will spoil her with love and attention. That is exactly what am looking for her, because I am giving her out for free adoption since my new job is keeping me so busy and i relocating back to you U.K i came here in Kenya for an NGO job.

- I will like to know if you have ever owned this breed before????? because if you haven't then know they are a very loving breed to own .
-Do you have any kids????? because these puppies love the company of kids alot.
-Lastly where are you located?.

We shall be traveling this coming week and my main reason for wanting to send the puppies back home to any loving and caring home is due to the very demanding nature of my present job ,so i am looking for any loving and caring family back there at home to send them to for adoption.

They are very friendly with kids and other home pets.
Well if you could give me your word that these puppies will be treated with much love and care then i don't mind giving the puppies out to you for free adoption.And from the inquiries i made i was told it will take a maximum of 6 hours for the puppies to be shipped and delivered to you in Ghana as i spoke with Tim Miller.

My main concern right now is not the adoption fee for the puppies but a very good loving and caring home guaranteed for them back there at home.If i could have that assurance in you that you will provide that for the puppies then i don't mind giving the puppies out to you for free adoption.They are like family to me and looking for an ever loving home for them in my main priority right now.
But you are going to pay for the shipping fee before we take the puppies to the airport for registering to your home address for delivery.

I look forward to hearing from you and stay blessed.
Regards

I wait to read from you asap.

Regards and waiting to read from you asap

Wesson B.

We live in such a serious world that I thought I would post this email so that I can bring smiles to your faces.  I hope you've enjoyed it.  It was 'well-funny" taking him for a ride.

hi russel, i was living in accra for un year. i just left there thre is two for pretoria south africa.you can write me [email protected]

I had the same problem!

I lived in Accra and actually brought my dog back to Canada with me. Lots of puppies are sold on LaBody Beach where I bough mine for really nothing. She needed some medical attention but nothing the local vets cant fix. Cheech is the dog and she is still loving life for being in Canada for 3 years now. Good Luck!

Thank you very much but I bought a puppy for 1000 Cedi's. He had all his shots from the local vet.  You see, "Me no see dog...Me no pay for a "dog".  What kind of stupid person will pay for a photo of a dog?  Not me.  People on this Expat.com should be on the lookout for scams and crooks.

I miss Accra and really enjoyed my time there.