Moving to KL imminently - help!!

Hi all.  I just landed a promotion at work, and will be relocating to KL in the next few weeks.  I have been to KL a couple of times whilst holidaying in SE Asia, and always hoped to get a permanent move out there.  Now it is reality, I need some guidance on where to live.  I am not planning on buying a car immediately, and my office is central so it would make sense to live nearby.  I like city life, but would prefer a location that has some open space nearby to escape the grind and get out on my bike.  Can anyone please recommend some decent areas?  I aim to check out the iproperty website and classifieds, but need a clue where to begin!  Thanks in advance, John.

JohnnyK1971 wrote:

Hi all.  I just landed a promotion at work, and will be relocating to KL in the next few weeks.  I have been to KL a couple of times whilst holidaying in SE Asia, and always hoped to get a permanent move out there.  Now it is reality, I need some guidance on where to live.  I am not planning on buying a car immediately, and my office is central so it would make sense to live nearby.  I like city life, but would prefer a location that has some open space nearby to escape the grind and get out on my bike.  Can anyone please recommend some decent areas?  I aim to check out the iproperty website and classifieds, but need a clue where to begin!  Thanks in advance, John.

Hello John

You might like to read some of the posts by Expat-Blog members which will be most helpful.

Most importantly, you did not mention the location of your office as well as your budget, which will definitely assist those who might be able to give you good suggestions.

Look forward to welcoming another expat to my country :)

Cheers,
Chris

Hi welcome! I would suggest you go for a service apartment for a month - ask your employer to organise/pay for. Then get the lay of the land. I do think a car is essential in KL as public transport is so bad

Chris/Nemodot - thanks for your rapid responses.  My office location is Menara Weld, Jalan Raja Chulan, if that helps!  I have no idea what my realistic budget will be until I am actually there, but would guess 3,500MYR would be an absolute maximum that I would want to spend. A friend/colleague told me he had paid 2000MYR for a really nice condo (gym/pool etc) five minutes from the same office. I will look to get a car ultimately, but again have no idea of budget/prices etc until I am there drawing my new salary.  Is public transport worse than enduring the traffic jams?

Chris - thanks for the nice welcome!

Hi there Johnny,

Welcome to Malaysia. My name is Sasi. I can help you out to make the necessary arrangement if you can provide me these details below?

- Date of Arrival to Malaysia.
- Are you coming with your family? No. of ppl
- If its ok for you to travel by train for less than 20 - 30 minutes to your work place, will that be ok?

I'm just doing a favour for you.

Cheers,
Sasi Kumar

Sasi - thanks for the offer. My company have assigned a relocation contact to help me with the move, I just need guidance as to the best places to live. Cheers, John

John Hi,

You may want to consider areas like Mont Kiara or Damansara as these are West of the City and entering 'Openess' !! Just a little further West is Shah Alam which has numerous Golf Courses so if your not a Golfer now you should learn.

You can get wonderful Condo's in the two mentioned areas for around MYR3K PM depending on size. You can also try 'Propwall which I find a better site than iProperty.

I will be back in KL as from December 1st so stay in touch and may be we can get you out for a beer.

Cheers

Bill

Thanks for the pointers Bill. I certainly like the look of Mont Kiara - it seems to be a nice green enclave and not too far from the City Centre. Ideal for getting out on my bike, and I do play a bit of golf - albeit not very well!  Great excuse to try and improve, I guess.  I am still waiting on an update on my visa/medical and relocation package, so I guess realistically my projected start date of Dec 1st is slightly ambitious.  Hope to hear more in the next few days.  Thanks again, John.

Your welcome John, stay in touch

HI welcome to KL
well you need to consider several things: 1. location of your job and you would want to be some how close by cause of the traffic 2. price range  3. convenience, make sure there's LRT station , shopping mall, stores around you.
I think Bangsar, Ampang, Damansara and Mont Kiara are 3 good areas for KL, it all depends on your budget. just get 2 or 3 agents to show you a few places.  cheers

Hi john,

Not a problem i do understand. Anyway  agree to Sarah's point especially on the traffic. Entering the city centre during peak hours is gona give u a big headache. I would suggest you to look out for condo's nearby LRT station. Go thru the link below and  do some search on the particular condo if its convenient to travel to your office or no.

horlic.com/condosapartments-near-star-lrt-station/

Cheers,

Sasi Kumar

Hi John,

Welcome to Malaysia, I live in Damansara and it is a nice place to hnag out, if you dont like crowded place like KL. It is not very far if you want to go to KL from here. If you decided to live here, buzz me..

Hi JohnnyK1971

Mont Kiara looks like Birmingham lol. Concrete hell hole that is increasingly full of student flat shares. Some expats love it, I just don't like "Mont Birmingham Kiara"

As you will be near P. Ramlee (btw centre of sin and debauchery and lady boy city) living in Shah Alam etc would be hell as traffic is well hell on Earth around cenral KL and plenty of places to stay in central KL.

Beware of predatory estate agents who are even worse here than in UK (I know hard to be that awful but true)

Bet you arrive and have a look first

Hi Sasha
Am in Damansara also.... it's an amazing place but can't seem to know people here... Specially there was a long lockdown.
I like to make friends and like to sing,
I have 2 kids who also feel isolated from the world. If there's anyone who wants to make a group of friends..plz get in touch

you can contact me on whats app +601163805510

Thank you...

I am from india. I am seeking job.  Help me plz

Hi Johnny

I have lived in a few areas around the KL & PJ area.  I'm currently about to move into a new condo and area in Kota Damansara.. Its Tropicana Gardens and there are 4 different Condos, and there is a golf course right next to it, new shopping mall connected to it also the MRT is right in the mall. It is one stop to the curve, 2 stops to one utama and 7 stops to city centre.. I have lived in Bangsar, Damansara Perdana and Damansara Utama all ok.... Ttdi and Glo is good to as it has MRT Also..