Chronic Pain Patient and availability of pain meds

Greetings to all....I am a chronic pain patient as well as congestive heart failure...we are exploring the option of relocating to Ecuador and i am needing info on the willingness/availability of prescription pain meds (opiates) Any info regarding policies and availability of said therapy??? We are planning to visit in late november or early december. Any insight or info will be greatly appreciated.....thanks in advance...

n8tiv_ndn

Hi n8tiv_ndn!

Welcome to Expat.com.

Armand

Sorry about your infirmities.  I sympathize as I too suffer from  several chronic pain issues.  I have the same questions as you do, though I must admit that during my three month stay from Aug to Nov., my pain decreased signifigantly and I hope that once we live there full time, much, if not all of the pain will subside to the point of no longr needing narcotic pain meds.  Until recently, our drug plan covered the cost and I was not overly aware of the massive cost, but now that we no longer have coverage, I am hoping and praying that not only will they be readily available and accessable, but also MUCH cheaper than up here in Canada, like many of the other drugs are in Ecuador.  I will be eager to see the posts you receive from those who can give you an answer to your inquiry (instead of just commisserating with you as I did.) Sorry I couldn't be any help, but good luck in finding the answers you're looking for, and may Ecuador relieve some, if not all of your pain as it did with me.

Deb