Work Permits for Part Time Teachers

Do all part time teachers have to pay for work permit, medical's, visa's etc.
All up I have already paid $500 and only work less than 10hrs a week.
What is the average hourly rate for teaching?

I have been working here almost 2 months and I have yet to get a work permit.  Visas are necessary though.  If you do not continue to have a current visa when you leave the county you will have to pay expired visa fees.  I have found from other ex-pats that having a work permit and a residential card makes life here easier but is not necessary.  It is just like anything how much money are you willing to pay for convenience.

The National Assembly has been working on new legislation and HCMC is beginning to check out places to see whose working and whether they are documented.

No documents can result in a very quick trip to the airport.

If you work, even volunteer for no pay, you need a Work Permit. And when you get a Work Permit you get a 35% income tax hit and a membership in the VN Health Plan.

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please don't dig up old threads. Register in the business directory if you want to promote your services
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Although it is empirically possible, in fact downright common, for foreigners to work without a work permit, it is still illegal unless they are temporary employees of foreign companies.   A work permit is not merely a matter of convenience as blubel13 suggests.

While the top schools will assist with permits for full-time workers, there is a dilemma for those working part-time.  I would guess that the large schools have in-house capability or lawyers on retainer, but costs for a small school especially for a 10 hour employee may be prohibitive.  If you are working only 10 hours by your choice. then it could be argued that you should bear the cost of obtaining the permit.  If you are seeking more hours (20-25 actual class hours should be full-time) then your employer should cover the costs of your permit but that will still be a difficult proposition if you are working at a small one location school.

A dated article for a dated post.  Doesn't really matter though , as things haven't changed...

Several foreign teachers work without permits, says department

Update: March, 13/2015 - 14:13

HA NOI (VNS) — More than 100 foreign teachers in Ha Noi were found working without work permits, Ha Noi's department of education and training has said.

Figures from the department showed that by the end of last year, there were more than 500 foreigners who were working as teachers for 60 foreign businesses in the field of education.

However, only 400 of them had been granted work permits. The remaining foreign teachers either were in the process of getting new permits or getting old permits extended, or were working without one.

Nguyen Thi Diep Hong, deputy head of the department's foreign-related education office, said that some educational centres organised only short-term courses, and thus hired only part-time foreign staff. As a result, some of these foreigners worked without permits. — VNS

Read more at http://vietnamnews.vn/society/267520/se … 1eXrYAq.99