American Working/Living in Hungary visa/permit question!?

Hello all!

I am an American and I am trying to figure out what I need to qualify for a residence permit and then a work permit in Hungary. I am going to be teaching English and I have a job offer and will have a residence with the school.

From what I understand thus far I need a work permit and a residence permit. I believe for the residence permit I need the following

1). a work permit (no idea what this is...or how to get it)
2). a contract of employment
3). a document certifying occupancy in Hungary (this seems easy enough?)
4). a certificate on how the person will make a living until her receives his first salary (bank account statement)
5). certificate on character of the gainful activity (the articles of association ((articles of association/is this like tax forms/business license?))
6). the resolution on the court registration of the enterprise (business license?)
7). a document certifying occupancy in Hungary (rental agreement?)
8). A certificate on the acquisiton of the qualification necessary for filling the position (Native speaker, B.A. Accredited University 4 year degree, TEFL cert.)
9). A delaration, certificate on the expected yearly income (the contract)
10). A certificate of the amount of money at the person's disposal in Hungary (my bank account statements)
11). the simplified balance sheet of the previous year for a firm already operation (tax returns?)
12). a certificate that the firm has no public debt for a firm operating (I am not a tax guy so..no idea on why this is necessary)
13). if the firm has Hungarian Employees: their employment contracts (This you would have)
14). In case of a new enterprise: a brief business plan

Now how does one go about getting a work permit? Also does this need to be filed before I go to Hungary?

Thank you!!

I have already reviewed the following pages...

kulugyminiszterium.hu/NR/rdonlyres/17C22871-B307-4245-97D7-7D30B2730BC4/0/vizumkerelmezok_tajekoztatasa_en.pdf
details what is needed to go with the actual residence permit on page 10

This is the actual residence permit for gainful activities...
bmbah.hu/ujpdf/angol/68.pdf

Reads like your feeling confused and frustrated. I have no experience of this, but I guess what you're after is a residence visa.
This page learn4good.com/travel/hungary_visa.htm simplifies the requirements a little bit. Looks like you need a D-type visa.
If you're prepared to pay there are companies who can help such as helpers.hu

angol wrote:

Reads like your feeling confused and frustrated. I have no experience of this, but I guess what you're after is a residence visa.....

That's all really complicated. Glad I don't have to do it.

But, this might be misleading advice in some respects. If you have an EC driving licence (whatever nationality you are), then I do not think you need an International Driving Licence. I think if you stay in Hungary more than perhaps 6 months, then you need to swap it to a Hungarian licence. However, I am pretty sure for EC licences and an EC passport, no-one will ask you for an International Driving Licence, so I wouldn't bother doing it.

Shouldn't your future employer be helping you with this?

Hi. I've lived and worked in Budapest since 1999. Best way for you to be certain you have what you need is to contact a local relocation company. Try Interrelo in Budapest, owned by a friend of mine. They'll get you on the right path. Hope this helps.

Hi all! Thank you for the responses! From what it sounds like the school should handle the work visa/permit and I will be handling the other aspects.