Successful job interview in the Maldives

Hi,

passing a job interview in the Maldives  can be a stressful moment, especially you are not familiar with the cultural and professional codes of the country.

How to successfully pass a job interview in the Maldives  ?

What happens during the interview ?

What are the do's and don'ts during a job interview in the Maldives  : what to say or not, what to wear, how to behave ?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience with us !

Julie

Hi!
I would like to share my experience when I get hired by my company today as one of their managers. Although I was not interviewed in the Maldives, because my employer came to my country, the experience was the same for I was interviewed by a Maldivian, to work in the Maldives and to cater Maldivian Market with Maldivian products and services. Now, how did I successfully pass the interview despite of very stiff competition and large number of applicants?  Part of the answer will remain secret but I will share some tips anyway. Some of them are basic but I will share it as well.
First, research on the company and the vacant position that you are applying for. You can search their website; ask some of your circle of friends, etc. Study their products and services and how your skills will fit in to fulfill the position that you are applying for in relation with the two things mentioned.  Be ready to answer questions that pertain to your capability and to fulfill their work expectations. Second, try to sell yourself by stating your accomplishments and skills and your readiness to impart this skills. One of the reasons why Maldivian employer hires an expat is because they want new ideas, new proven processes and or new efficient management style (if you are applying for a managerial position). In some cases, Maldivian company hires an expat due to culture reasons which i refuse not to elaborate it anymore.  If your interviewer asks if you can cope up with the new environment, you just say that you are flexible and a fast learner, you just need to be true to what you are saying.
The dos and don'ts?  What to wear? Etc?... Maybe I will share this to you again next time. As of the moment, our company is looking for additional sales and marketing staff. Fortunately, i was appointed by my company to do the interview and pre-qualification of the candidates.  Perhaps, I can impart some of these experiences on my next post.  Watch out for this!
Happy evening to all!

Hi WOW Pinoy!

Thanks for sharing ;)

Armand

wowPINOY!

thanks for this very informative information.
it will help me a lot because maybe in the next few weeks the HR of  one of the resort there in  maldives will conduct an interview. i've gone already the first interview by the director of engineering.

Hello leng_28 and welcome to Expat.com!

Wish you good luck for your interview. ;)

Aurélie

Hi,

most of the expats who get hired for jobs in maldives are interviewed over phone or thru skype in rare cases.

it is very important that your study a bit about the organisation prior to the interview. this is a bonus point for most of the resort jobs, as this will show that you already have an understanding about maldives and how we operate.

just the basic will fo, if you already have a friend working for the same company, give a call to them and ask for age of the company, their primary business, working hours, etc..

confidence is the key to pass any interview. if you already have what its got to do the job, share it with the interviewer and get more confortable with this person, as if you want to get to the second interview or being hired this is the person to impress.

hope this helped.

cheers
mooch

thanks
mooch and aurelie