Successful job interview in Belize

Hi,

passing a job interview in Belize can be a stressful moment, especially you are not familiar with the cultural and professional codes of the country.

How to successfully pass a job interview in Belize ?

What happens during the interview ?

What are the do's and don'ts during a job interview in Belize : what to say or not, what to wear, how to behave ?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience with us !

Julie

Hi Julie! Unfortunately, you are making a huge assumption about Belize - that there is a job market for Expats.

Non-citizens or residents cannot be employed in Belize without applying and getting approved for a work permit, which due to the high unemployment rate in Belize right now, is proving to be virtually impossible from the feedback I\'ve received.

However, one can come here and start or buy a business.  You would still need a self-employed work permit to do so before getting your permanent residency, however, those are given out much easier.

I\'m sure there\'s one or two folks out there who have gotten a \"job\" in Belize and gone through an interview, but the numbers are quite slim, I\'m sure.

Hope this was useful. 

Sharon Hiebing

Thanks for your help Sharon  ;)

Armand

Contrary to popular belief the QRP does not give you permission to work in Belize.

You can run an offshore business or do online consulting or other businesses. As long as the money is not earned in Belize

Most people who do this operate under the radar. I make no judgements on what other people do.

As my income is totally offshore I do not have to worry about it.

Eric, the information you are giving is incorrect and out of date.  Per the BTB\'s (Belize Tourism Board) FAQ section on their website (http://belizeretirement.org/faqs.shtml - see items 10 and 11), QRP members are not only allowed to buy or start a business, but are encouraged to do so, as a way to stimulate the economy and provide jobs to the locals.

I have personally verified this information with Ms. Roshel Godfrey, who is in charge of the program for the BTB, as well as an extremely competent Belizean attorney.

What QRP members cannot do is \"work\" for pay as an employee in Belize.

You are correct that, of course, any locally owned business, QRP owners included, are subject to taxation and absolutely should pay it - the government needs that money badly!

That is the wonderful thing about Belize. Talk to different people and get different answers.

They tried to get me and my dad to get work permits several times over the years, even though we pay Social security and employ multiple people. All of our income comes from offshore.

If I was really worried about it I could find GOB links that contradict everything you say. Almost everything the GOB has online is out of date.

Again personally I do not care. But thanks for the up to date information. I trust you have it correct.

Edit: I see.... What QRP members cannot do is \"work\" for pay as an employee in Belize.

So just don't pay yourself a paycheck. Which means the GRP does not give you permission to work.

Got it.