Successful job interview in Japan

Hi,

passing a job interview in Japan can be a stressful moment, especially you are not familiar with the cultural and professional codes of the country.

How to successfully pass a job interview in Japan ?

What happens during the interview ?

What are the do's and don'ts during a job interview in Japan : what to say or not, what to wear, how to behave ?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience with us !

Julie

Wear the most professional looking business attire possible.

How to pass an interview is impossible to teach. Like every other interview in the world, learn about the company beforehand so you know what you are getting into and can ask sensible questions. Japanese job interviews are usually conducted in a panel style, with the prospective employee facing 3 or more people at once.

For more, you are going to have to describe what sort of job you are interested in.

Hi Glenski!

Thanks for your advice ;)

Armand

hi,

it highly depends the kind of job you looking for. did you have already a pre-interview in your country and the final to be in Japan ? what kind of company ? international or 100% japanese company? are you already based in Japan ?
dress code and manners are mandatory, do not think at all the interview will be the same as in Europe or US. if you have no experience of japanese culture and behavior, that could be a challenge, this is all I can say.

:top:

I've successfully interviewed at several companies in Japan, in both English and Japanese, and the process does not strike me as that different from a Western-style interview. 

It's a given that you should dress well and act professional.  And of course have any documents that might be necessary for the interview, such as a resume, passport, and copies of (or even the originals) college degrees. 

Beyond that, I wouldn't psyche yourself out too much.  I wouldn't approach it thinking, Oh these people are Japanese and therefore I have to behave differently.  They're just people.  Use good manners and you should be fine.  But as I said, that's true anywhere.

Ken

Thanks for your contribution Ken!;)

Harmonie.

Different countries have their own dressing codes for interviews. But I do believe that in Japan, dressing code play a much vital part in the communication process when going for an interview, compared to other countries. Obviously, it is not recommended to wear: unkempt clothes, jeans or athletic shoes. The attitude that you adopt and the way that you respond to questions give a glimpse of your personality.

last month i faced interview in japan it was great experience for me they did not ask any specific thing it was totally related with work profile. take care and best of luck for your interview. Hope for best.

Japan as an advanced country has its strong personality and character. Accordingly, the interviewers take into account the nationality of the interviewee. Therefore, they may be tolerant towards certain acts provided that willingness to adapt to the nature of work is demonstrated...

Each country has different working style and interview as well.It's experience life in Japan first, come to know their culture and then apply for a job. By then you would have probably gone through culture shock and learn necessary manner code before going to the interview!

spontaneity, just relax :D

Just be yourself !

Go Go Go ...

Go and get for the Gold , I mean JOB !

We are the champion my friend !