Cimate

Hi My name is David i have been looking into spending some time in Ecuador and would like to know if there is an area at a little lower altitude than Ceuenca where the year round Temperature might be from 60F to 80F After working all my life in the extreme hot and cold Temperatures of East Texas i would like something milder.All responses will be Appreciated. 

David1946

Ecuador has a fascinating climate.  Since it is on the equator (hence its name the Republic of the Ecuador = equator) the days and nights are equal in length.  Temperature therefor is effected by altitude and proximity to the ocean.  Cuenca and Quito are high in the moutnains and can be quite chilly but the surrounding valleys in contrast can be warmer.  On the Coast (which many mistakenly believe to be muggy like the Florida or Luisiana/Mississippi/Texas coastline i actually cooler -- rather like Cape Cod in summer and San Francisco for about three months (August, September & October) when it clouds over.  The hot and muggy area is the Amazon (Oriente) and is truly a rainforest.  It is suggested that you wear light cotton breathable clothing there that covers your limbs to protect from the sun and bugs. 

You will want to spend time in Cuenca and on the southwest coast (Salinas north to Manta) to get some idea of where the gringos are moving -- for good road systems, nearby supermarkkets and medical care, and internet services.

We would love to host your stay in the Salinas area -- we are located about 20 minutes from the main street of Salinas known as the Malecon (first street closest to the bay) and our location will give you a good idea of what it feels like to be in both a rural and semi metropolitan area. 

Hope to hear you'll be visiting soon!

Susan
TheOceanHideaway.com

Ok thanks a lot i am still trying to make up my mind and i will let you know.

Have a nice day: 
                                          David

Keep in mind the country is about the size of the state of Nevada.  Travel from Cuenca to Guayaquil by bus is about 3 1/2 hours and then a bus from guayaquil to Salinas is under 2 1/2 hours.  So you can see a bit of the country in a two week stay.

Susan
TheOceanHideaway.com

Thanks a lot oceanhideaway it really sounds nice i will look into that area a little closer.

David1946

David, folks who find the weather in Cuenca too cool but love the city choose to live in surrounding areas like Paute or Yunguilla.  Although only a 30 minute or so drive from the city the lower altitude makes the temps usually 5 degrees warmer.  But there are a lot of Texas folks here that find Cuenca's weather a welcome relief from the heat and humidity back home.

Ok thanks for the info you are very helpful.

David

Greetings David, My husband (also David) and I are thinking of moving to Ecuador.  You can use AccuWeather.com to see daily temperatures morning and evening, precipitation, etc. for many of the cities in Ecuador.  On the internet I also found the elevation and population of most cities by Googling town name+elevation+population.  For example, the altitude in Loja is 6,889 feet, in Catamayo, 4,101 feet, Cotacachi, 7,800 feet.  Generally, the higher the elevation, the lower the night temperatures.

FYI---AccuWeather isn't very accurate-------.

I just looked at the Accuweather for Salinas, Ecuador (Santa Elena Peninsula)-- pretty close to accurrate for the next few days -- the showers are more like heavy mist for a few minutes ... most people don't even notice them.

Was dancing last night at a new bar opened by a friend from Colorado -- biker named Kim and the place it called SIN... which is rather amusing in both languages.  Slight shower while sambaing and it was refreshing. 

Mostly Salinas is dry -- less rain per year than Las Vegas.  Misty when it is cooler during July to October -- sort of like Cape Cod -- butclear and humidity is reasonable.  It is NOT South Florida or Washington DC in the summer

Thanks Ocean Hideaway!  Young friends of ours recently spent some time in Ecuador - their descriptions, much like yours where climate is concerned, are what got us interested in Ecuador.  We are, however, most interested in the Andes area (I grew up in the mountains of Colorado).  We will be staying at Izhcayluma; we're renting a car after arrival in Quito.  Maybe we can wander over to the beach.  Where in Colorado is your friend from?  Any word of wisdom re: roads from Pan American Highway over to the Costa?
Regards, Alta M.

Hello,

About the roads in Ecuador, they improve a lot in the last years but there's no highways like in the States, only close to the important cities you will find 2,3 same direction lines, also the way ecuadorians drive has not improved.
Roads in the andinean region have many bends, trucks and buses.
And driving in the cities is like Han Solo driving his spaceship through the asteroid field.:D:D

If you're plannig to visit Cuenca I will be there.

Regards
Vinny

Ok thanks a lot for all the help you are very much appreciated.

David1946