Looking for advice on relocating to HCMC with 7 year old son

I am seriously considering making the move to HCMC and hoping that someone out there might have any advice, suggestions that I should consider?  Also how is everyone finding jobs? Are you waiting till you move before searching for jobs?  Does anyone have suggestions for recruiters there?

Thanks,
Crisann

Hi Crisann!;)
I have some foreign friends and my friend is a teacher English. My friend have been job by connected to a University in his country and they helped him so he had to a job before coming here. I'm Vietnamese so i just can say If u need anything help then just tell me!
Good luck!:D
Tam

For jobs in Vietnam, you may check whats available on vietnamworks.com as one source to see what is available.

Hi, Crissa,
Can you teach English? i am looking for a native teacher for my niece, she is around 10 now, we dont demand a degree at teacher English, as long as you can talk English with her about some fields, some with grammar also,if u would like for this job so please contact me by mail: [email protected] or by phone :0947745492.
Thank you

and i have knew some hospital here which hire foreigners also, hope to help you to settle down in Viet Nam.
Good luck!

You are taking a major lifestyle change and I presume your so is at the top of your priorities.

Your son is under 16 and therefore to fly the airline will require a court order giving you sole custody, or an affidavit from the child's mother agreeing you may take him out of your country of domicile. If the boys Mother is deceased you will have to prove that, too.

Next your son will need education. As a non-Vietnamese it means you will have to place him in one of these commercial international schools who have one thing in common. Money, BIG money and we are talking USD$10,000-20,000 per annum, and not the greatest quality either.

Accommodation, minimal facilities will likely set you back $400/month +++ (water, electricity, management fee, cable TV, InterNet). Landlords generally require a 2 month deposit PLUS first months rent. For a $400/month apartment that is a $1,200 hit. Search Craigs List VietNam for accommodation to get a handle on prices. Stay in a hotel until you figure out where you want to stay - they can be cheaper than apartments, even in Q1.

VNPT will provide Internet on credit, i.e. not prepaid. You should also get a VNPT prepaid 365 cell account which allows you to buy an amount of prepaid air time which is good for a year but you have to use the phone at least onnce a month. That's 365, remember it, their office is on Nguyen Du (pronounced win dzu) near the back of the Main Post Office which is opposite the cathedral. The InterNet office is in the same block.

Foe a complete list of job search engines go to: < http://www.livinginvietnam.com/index.ph … l?Itemid=0 >.

What you are proposing is called immigration. VietNam, like your home country has procedure for immigrants, except VietNam's are easier.

You should get a copy of the police criminal record for yourself, then apply for a visa for you and your son. Since your son has likely got his own passport, you will need a separate visa for him.

Do not mention working! Just apply for a tourist visa, they come in 30 and 90 day flavours.

The visas can be extended whilst you research your options. Get caught working and it's deportation time.

Teaching English is akin to the dish washing jobs in earlier times. Everyone claims to be able to teach English, just to make a buck.