Moving to Manila

Have been offered a job in Manila through an Indian company but I am not sure what to expect in terms of living expenses and rent. Am not expecting a huge salary, so wanted to ask all of you whether it is possible to find decent apartments for less than 12.000 local currency and live an OK lifestyle on a 1500 US$ salary.

thanks
Aili

I doubt very much that you could find a decent residence for less than PHP15,000, unless you locate in the suburbs. You might be able to get by on $1,500USD per month if you have no dependents and are willing to get around via public transportation.

To find out more about what to expect when relocating to the Philippines, especially the Metro-Manila area, I suggest that you visit my website "Your Guide to Living In The Philippines" (http://adjusting2philippines.blogspot.com).

Manila is one of the more expensive areas to live in the Philippines. In most places I would say you could live reasonably well on that much. Manila I am not sure about. It also depends on your lifestyle if you eat out a lot and hit the nightspots then it would probably be pretty tight on $1500.

Here is a computation for you to decide.

Condominium Rental for studio type-                  P 18,000
Water consumption                                    P    400
Electricity                                          P    800
Condominium monthly dues                             P  1,500
Telephone with dsl internet (no international call)  P  1,300
Foods Allowance @ P 220 per day                      P  6,600
Drinking water @P 35/16 LITERS- 4 TINS/Month         P    140 
Bathing soap - 4 soap/monthly @ P 45/soap            P    180
Laundry Soap  12 bars/month @ P10/BAR                P    120
Tooth phase      2 tube/month  P 90/Tube             P    180
Transportation- bus average/day P60 @ 30 DAYS        P  1,800
Cooking gas  1 tank per month @550                   P    550

TOTAL EXPENSES FOR ONE MONTH                         P  31,570

This computation is good for one person only for one month

Throw in cable television service: P450 per month. Medical expenses P500 (for a young healthy person). Also consider getting health insurance, regardless of age.

I don't know where these other guys live but $1500 is like 72000 pesos, a small flat should only run you about P5000 a month plus utilities. Get a fan and a gas burner, buy your food at the wet or dry market...landlord can show you...then slowly get familiar with everything you'll be fine. Folks in Manila live on a lot less, you might be considered rich.

umbras wrote:

I don't know where these other guys live but $1500 is like 72000 pesos, a small flat should only run you about P5000 a month plus utilities. Get a fan and a gas burner, buy your food at the wet or dry market...landlord can show you...then slowly get familiar with everything you'll be fine. Folks in Manila live on a lot less, you might be considered rich.

Live or subsist?

living in the Philippines with 1500 US$. Easy, unless you go out dining every day and like to live a luxurious life.

Hello,

The cost here is slightly higher than compared to India. But the standard of living is quite higher. I learn this through my Indian visitors who use to come here.

With P15,000/month I feel you can see a good place to rent within Metro Manila. I am a Filipino ad would know and understand better the living conditions here.

Jan,

You are correct on that. I see that you live in Antipolo. I am just here in Karangalan Pasig near Sta Lucia Mall

Hi there.

I think earning 1500USD per month in Manila is actually ok already. I mean, if you're not really the "spending" type then you will be just fine.

All you need to do is learn how to budget. The computation provided in the previous post is a good example of budgeted expenses for a month. But if you know where to look for a safe and good house and you know where to buy cheap but good quality products then you're good to go.

I know some nice and safe apartments that only costs about 10,000PHP per month. Yes, it may not be a condo but its good enough to settle in. Condos are actually very expensive. Apartments are better, cheaper and has no monthly dues.

Water and electricity actually depends on how you use it. If you are going to spend most of your time out of the house then you actually don't have to worry about your water and electricity bills. You have to be wise in using your appliances too. Visit the website of Meralco or research about electricity and water saving tips to lessen you bill.

For your drinking water, there are a lot of stores where you can purchase 5 gallons of water for 50-70 pesos. That can last for about 2-3 weeks depending on your consumption.

As for the groceries (toiletries, food, etc) you can set a monthly budget of 3000 for everything. It would be good if you know where to buy cheap but good quality products.

If you want to have internet access, cable and telephone, I suggest you try PLDT and SKY INTERNET/BROADBAND. They have a package wherein you can avail of all three for a low amount.

What else can I say... OH! With regards to your transportation, I suggest that you take the MRT/LRT or the jeepney. Yes, it might get crowded and hot most of the time BUT its faster and cheaper compared to riding a cab. Make sure that the place you're going to stay in is accessible... meaning, its near the terminal of jeepneys or... taxis. haha! :)

Another thing that will help you budget your money is knowing your way around the metro. This will at least prevent you from spending your money on taxi rides.

You can also save more money if you save your coins. It would be great if you can save 10PHP a day or more. That will be of great help to you when you need immediate money.

I don't know what else to say. If you have any questions you can send me a message here and I'll be glad to answer them for you. :) Good luck and ingat (take care).

cheerios!

A modest life style can indeed accomplish economic miracles.  A caveat though about the MRT: beware of pickpockets. I've been boosted twice while riding the train, most likely during the boarding process when people are pushing and shoving to get on. I thought that I had taken safety precautions by placing my wallet in my front pocket but to no avail.

I have been taking public transportation in the Philippines for all my life and I have never been robbed or anything. Mostly I just encounter rude drivers or really loud people. If I were you, don't put all your money, credit cards and identification cards in one place. Plus, when I travel alone, I always look at the people and whatever it is that is going on around me. When I feel that somebody is following me or if I feel like something is going to happen, I always walk fast and stay near a crowd of people.

When you ride the MRT and you feel that people are pushing you, always put your bag in front of you and protect it with your arms. Don't hesitate to say something when they are pushing you. It helps when you address the problem rather than stay silent about it. If your bag has a lot of pockets, then make sure you place the coins where you can easily get it and keep your other money elsewhere. Maybe you can put it somewhere deep inside your bag.

Make sure you are also aware of the tricks that these bad people do just so they can steal money from you.

When I was in college, I was about to pay my tuition fee but I had to take a jeepney to school. I kept my money inside my socks because nobody suspected that its there. Many criminals know when the right time to steal from students and other people so you really do need to be careful.

I do hope that what I'm saying here is helpful. After all, I do want people from other countries to experience the good side of the Philippines and not the bad. :)