The Ho Chi Minh Trail - Advice

Hello,

I was wondering if I could get any tips/advice on completing the Ho Chi Minh trail from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh

I fly to Ho Chi Minh on the 6th of January, drop my main luggage off and then plan to take an internal flight to Hanoi and work my way back down to Ho Chi Minh by train/bike.

I have set aside 3-4 weeks to complete the trip and will just organsie in advance the flight to Hanoi and accommodation for 2-3 nights. Is this a good/bad idea? Should I be looking at pre-booking more things for the trip (eg accommodation in Da Nang/Nha Trang) or will I be able to turn up and find somewhere to stay.

I want to mix the journey up with Motorbike/train travel. I have a UK driving License but presume this wouldn't be good enough to drive a rented motorbike.
How easy/hard will it be to organise this? Could I look at hiring a guide for the bike travel on a day to day basis?

Finally, I am doing this trip on my own, is it reasonably safe to do something like this?

The whole Idea of the trip for me is to see a bit more of the country before I start my TEFOL course as I am still undecided as to where I would like to teach in Vietnam.

Any advice will really be appreciated!

Michael

Hi Michael,

That should be one heck of a trip.  But, why don't you go from HCMC to Hanoi, instead of the other way around?  In HCMC, preparation is much easier: getting your Vietnamese motorbike license, renting your bike...

Also, if your Vietnamese isn't sufficient, a guide is needed because the trail cuts through mostly rural areas; there aren't a whole lot of English speaking people there.

As for accomodation, if you are cool with the mini hotels, then don't worry about it too much.  There are plenty of them along the way.  Bring a Visa or Mastercard with you.   

Last but not least, if you are going to motorbike, ride during daylight hours.  You should be fine.  But make sure you bring enough medications with you and choose a good enough bike.

Good luck,
Howie

Hi Michael,

Kool idea of your travel by motorbike. By this mean of transport you'll experience lots of things in Vietnam by your own travel; stop at different places, meeting local people, learning the the culture and new things...

However, traffic in Vietnam is CHAOS and crazy. Don't risk your life here unless you bought big sum of assurance. :D

Yes, the good idea is to hire a guide to drive you for the trip and interpret the language for you to understand life in Vietnam.

This will be your great experience of Vietnam.

Best luck !
Hanry

Michael,

I forgot.  The actual HCM trail travels, in parts, into Laos.  If that is the one that you want to experience, a good guide is definitely needed.  You might also want to look into obtaining a Laotion visa. 

On the other hand, if you don't have the time or the inclination to go through Laos and subject yourself to another set of regulations, you can take the simplified version of the trail, which will keep you in Vietnam's border.

Either way, the trail will not be a direct route.  In parts, you will have to get onto the main road.

Have fun,
Howie

Hi Michael. Here's a little info on the Trails and some advice.

There are actually three of them believe it or not... The one from Hanoi to Saigon is currently under construction. It's being built on or along QL14. It's more symbolic than anything else. The other two are what the legends and folklore are all about. There are footpaths that originated in the northern parts of Vietnam and were used by the NVA to march south, depending where the soldiers unit was at the time. These trails were mostly along the border of Vietnam, but depending on the weather and what hamlets and villages would provide them support could also lead them into Laos and Cambodia... The last one is the route the vehicles used to transport supplies and equipment south... Only about 25 to 30 miles of it were actually in Vietnam. It started at the logistic support base in a town named Vinh outside of Hanoi. And from there went directly into Laos, winding south to Cambodia and ending in Sihanoukville... There were branches of it along the way that lead into Vietnam at different points but the trail itself is all outside of Vietnam. At that time Laos and Cambodia were suppose to be neutral countries and not support either side.

What I'd suggest is slipping your arrival date a few weeks first. The 23rd or so of Jan is the start of the Lunar New Year or sometimes called TET here in Vietnam. Not a really go time to try and see the place unless you're on an organized tour with a bunch of tourist. It's more family time than anything else, out in the country side especially. Get settled in finish your TESOL course make some friends, learn a little about the country and its rich culture, pick-up a few Vietnamese words and phrases. Then hit the trail.

Thanks so much for the advice Wild, MrOcean and Budman.

I completely forgot about the Lunar New Year so I'll have to re-think my strategy.
I can definitely see the sense in delaying the trip for a while, plus If I can meet someone there who wants to do it with me that will be a nice bonus!

Really appreciate the advice! Thank you!