Living costs in Thailand

Hi all, I am thinking about a move to Thailand, is it posible to live off 120 pounds a month and maybe earn a bit more working there ? Many thanks for any info,advice and tips etc.

In a word, no. Firstly you can't work there without a work visa, and the Thais are very strict indeed about handing these out. Secondly half of your £120, or roughly 6,000 baht would go on a cheap and very nasty room. And you would have to take an excellent cookery book along the lines of '500 different things to do with white rice and hardly any other ingredients' not to starve, drink nothing but bottled water, never go out for a beer, and never travel.

Robson, are you serious?

As already stated by Wedders its impossible. 

If you want to get a serious look at how  much things cost here try reading  http://www.ajarn.com which has just done an excellent article on living in bangkok on 30,000 Baht a month. Thats around £600.

Good luck with your travels, but it might be better staying home and heading for Skegness!

Why not invest in a condo in Hua-Hin.

you buy a holiday condo for 10.000 USD ++
in Hua-Hin,the favorite resort 'town' of the Thai nobility.

It is clean and safe. And there is golf, too. And no hanky-panky!

I wanna walk on the beach

Robson wrote:

Hi all, I am thinking about a move to Thailand, is it posible to live off 120 pounds a month and maybe earn a bit more working there ? Many thanks for any info,advice and tips etc.

Sure it is.
In a temple (wat).
Are you Buddhist?

No I dont think you can live any where in the world for £120 per month,, but you can live good in Thailand for about £400 per month,, if you can share a apartment with some one, and eat any thing,,, But you must have a visa to work there....
I would love to live there myself,, but would like a friend to live with, that way you can wach out for eachother,,,,,

How do you want to live?
I know people who live happily with 0 money, refusing whatever people could give them
http://www.farangrakthai.com/frt/Thaila … llage.aspx
But I'm pretty sure you're not that type.
So you'll need far more money than £120 or £400 per month if you want to live in Thailand for more than a few months.

The average Thai income is about 10,000 baht a month or less than 200 pounds. (Bangkok Post, 'Mid year Economic Review 2009').

Many foreigners live a very different lifestyle than the average local and consequently would find it impossible to live on 10,000 baht a month. But it is possible, and you could try it for a couple of months on a tourist visa until you found work.

A legal job with a work permit will bring you an income at least three times higher than that of the average Thai.

Anybody would find it difficult to live with 10,000 baht a month. Including Thai people