Life on the island...

Hey,

I am new here and I would like to get some information about Réunion Island. My questions fits into more categories, so I decided put all in one new topis.

At first - I am citizen of EU so I think do not need any visa etc.

If anyone can answer my questions, I'll be very glad. I wanna spend some time at this island. Maybe a few months or years. I am interested in, how much cost living there. I do not live in hotels, of course. I do want live on or near a beach in some small cottage with at least cost. I do not need internet, phone, electric, society etc.

It's all about spirituality and distaste of the western society. No big deal, just a huge change.

When you're on the same tide as I am, tell me, it will be useful.

genially,
deluxe

Hi Deluxe!

When are you moving? Do you know which part of the island you wanna stay?
I'm doing the exact same research on the Reunion now :)
Here's the link to help you look for the place to stay: leboncoin.fr its a good local site with ads for almost anything. Its in french though, but there is nothing google translate can handle, trust me.

cheers!

Hello DolciAstra,
I am very glad for your response! I have no liabilities, so I can move on the island almost whenever. However I think that January 2012 will be great. With regard to part of island where a wanna to stay, I am not sure about it, yet. Got you any tips?
And what about you? Where, when, what did you figure out to now, etc - if don't mind that I am asking.

PS: thanks for tip on webside, looks interestingly & usefuly
PS2: for the time being what I saw on that web is accommodation in cities in modern apartman/flat (mostly) etc.
I think that would be better something away from big cities - maybe some little village. but website where is that kind of information I didn't find yet. Or probably will be best look for accommodation directly - personally.

regards dlx

Hey people!
I can try to help you as much as I can. I moved from Finland to Reunion Island about 1 month ago. IŽve been enjoying my time here a lot. Im living in capital of Reunion Island.

But yeah as an EU citizen you dont need visa, but if you are planing to stay long time you have to make a residence application after 3 months. And you wanna make sure that your passport is valid at least 6 months after planed return date.

Also one big deal is for people who come here only with one way ticket, that will cause problems at airport. I didnt know this and I got big problems at Paris airport, because it is not possible to arrive here with only one way ticket. So you wanna plan your trip all they way to the return date. Of course you do not have to use that return date or you can chance it as you like, but that is the thing that all the authorities will ask.

What comes for living here is all about you. Prizes of apartments chances a lot depending witch part of island you wanna stay. You will need to speak French if you wanna live somewhere else than in hotel. People here do not speak English. And there is not much of those who speak English.

Im sorry for my complicated message, I did rite this in hurry and also my english is not so good. But feel free to ask anything, Im willing to help as much as I can..

Take care!

Demes,
thanks for info!
Now another problem for me personally - my French is like level "zero" LOL
Another challenge :) Oh well, I'm sure there is an English speaking community..

I know about the return ticket, but not sure if the booked ticket would be sufficient or you actually need to buy it..

Also, how about the communication? Is the cell connection good? Is it expensive to call EU? what about other countries in Europe? Are there any alternative ways of calling - like internet cafe's with web phone or whatever? (in case you live in a bungalow on the beach without web and cell phone).

Thanks in advance!

to Demes,
at first,thanks for the post.
With passport I have no problem - to 2016, anyway, is there some problem with residence application, any request on me?

Right that I wanted just one way ticket, but if it makes problems, I try to figure out how have also retrun ticket. But I have no idea how to do that - without paying lot of money.

french - I have never speak that languange, I suppose that it is not so necessary - use gestures and little english could be enough for start, Am I right?

I would like to ask you - I do not really live in apartman etc, did you notice something like little bungalow that is for rent by someone of locals people? for example on Bali - nice little bungalow on the beach - far from big cities, very nice deal (for me also for him - local man). if yes how much that cost circa?

Demes,
I thought about it - do you know why should be also return ticket? when I traveled across a Europe, for example now in UK, I always buy just one way ticket - never problem. this is something I never heared in context of EU. Did they tell you a reason of it? Basically I am a citizen of EU so I should have a right to live anywhere in EU.

Btw. for start I found some Camps, it is about 5 eur/night, so for start I think it will be enough for me. I really do not need comfort. Have you any experience about it?
also I am looking at share rents as http://www.leboncoin.fr/colocations/244 … tm?ca=26_s , and surely are also cheapen than this

regards,
dlx

hey guys

i've been living in rreunion island for almost 2 years now. the beach is on the east side of the island (st.gilles)and the rents are almost high as in paris or london. try to look for flats around st.denis ,st.paul if you want to stay not too far away from the beach. east is the cheepest. but it rains alot. but if you are a hiker east is the best.
your drivers licence will come in handy here to visit the island because the bus service is not that great in the mountains.
inported food are a bit expensive but you can find local food for less.
life is pritty laid back here so it is a nice place to chill. but try to learn a bit of french because not many people speak in english.   

i hope this information is useful.

ravzta

The island of true contrasts,by various departments of Reunion is unknown to many of the world's travelers. That's really unfortunate, This unique islands in the middle of the Indian Ocean is simply one of the most intriguing spots on earth.

Spending life on island is a great feeling while compared to live in cities, We lead our life very pleasantly and cool. When we live on islands, We must observe the living area and nearer areas which is suitable for us and also find the area which will have less rainfall. In many areas, houses have different rents, Which will depend upon their availabilities in that area. We choose the correct island which is comfortable and suitable for us.

Check Etang Sale les bains... It a small town right on the beach where you can actually swim and great for snorkeling.  To find rooms or apt. in Reunion:
leboncoin.fr/annonces/offres/reunion/?f=a&th=1&q=chambre
You can search under chambre or appartment.
Good luck

Does that mean as an EU citizen you also have to book a return flight ticket.  But Reunion belongs to France, so why is that an issue?  Thanks, Christine

Christine,
You're replying to a very old thread (2011/2012).
I no longer think there's any requirement to show a return flight ticket (not sure there ever was one for EU citizens).
However do be aware that Reunion is NOT part of the Schengen area, so that can lead to issues for some non-EU citizens who have visas which are only valid in the Schengen area.