Living in Rio with kids!

Hi All,

I have just been given the oppurtunity to live and work in Rio. I have two young daughters (3 and 1) and would like to know the following:
1. Is it safe for obviously European kids in Rio? (Yes, that may sound strange but the question must be asked).
2. Where are popular areas for expats to live?
3. If you were to live there for two years would you buy a car?
4. Can it be unconfortably hot for young kids with fair skin?

Looking forward to your responses!

Mike

Hello Mike and welcome to Expat.com!

You should take a look at the different discussions of the forum. It may give an idea of how will be life there for your daughters and you.;)

Harmonie.:)

Hi Mike,

We are moving to Brazil in March with our two year old daughter.  In general Brazilians love kids and they are pretty much welcome everywhere.   It gets hot but it is no hotter than some places here in the States and at least you have the beach.   

My impression of safety is that you have to be smart about when and where you go but in general if you live and move in the right areas it is as safe as other cities.   

In terms of areas for foreigners, Zona Sul is in the city, though prices are high.   Barra is another option but it is outside of the city and would require a car.   

I am sure people who live there may be of more help but hopefully this is a start. Good luck