Advice on Considering a job offer in Riyadh, originally from islamabad

Hi everyone,

I have gone through the forum & have gathered lots of valuable info (many thanks to all the contributors).

I have been offered a chance to relocate from islamabad, Pakistan to  riyadh, KSA. Its an internal transfer, not a new company.

The package is like this, 12K including accommodation & Transportation plus medical insurance & family visa support / tickets.

From what I gathered if I live an average life & move my wife & kid (1 year) after a while, I can survive & probably save a few riyals as well.

What I would like to know is;

1. what would be the best area to live once I am here with family, is it advise able to only find a location / block where lots of pakistani's / south asians live? in either case, can some one please identify such areas?

2. The office location is in Olaya area, can I find a decent apartment near to the office location in 2000-3000 range?

3. I would be buying a car, but don't have much idea about financing & I am not in favor of conventional interest based financing, so is Islamic financing available or buying a 2nd hand car is the only option?

4. I understand that apartments are usually unfurnished, so how much it might cost to buy basic furnishing & electronics like fridge / freezer, tv etc etc

5. I probably missed the bit about getting a cable / satellite TV connection / cost info, can anyone shed some light on that?

6. Probably too long term, but any idea about schooling cost, I think there are some Pakistani schools there, can someone help out in that regard?

I will gladly shoot any other queries I might have. In the meanwhile, please feel free to mention anything that may have overlooked or might be missed by someone new to KSA.

Appreciate your patience to go through such a long post & will welcome any & all advice.

Hello islamian and welcome to Expat.com!

I wish you all the best,
Harmonie.:)

Hi @Islamian,

Welcome aboard and soon to KSA also :)

islamian wrote:

Hi everyone,
From what I gathered if I live an average life & move my wife & kid (1 year) after a while, I can survive & probably save a few riyals as well.

12K is not a very good package. But as far as you have said: Yes, you can live an average life with a possibility to save some riyals.

islamian wrote:

1. what would be the best area to live once I am here with family, is it advise able to only find a location / block where lots of pakistani's / south asians live? in either case, can some one please identify such areas?

That's a matter of personal opinion. Some people like to always live with country mates. In my view, it doesn't make a big difference.

islamian wrote:

2. The office location is in Olaya area, can I find a decent apartment near to the office location in 2000-3000 range?

Yes, it's possible to get a good house in olaya for 3K per month. But not too many Pakistanis live in Olaya.

If your priority is to live in South Asian community, Hyal-al-Wazarat (famous as Hara) or Malaz will be a preferred. Hara is just next to Olaya area. And then Malaz is next to Hara.

islamian wrote:

3. I would be buying a car, but don't have much idea about financing & I am not in favor of conventional interest based financing, so is Islamic financing available or buying a 2nd hand car is the only option?

It's name only is 'Islamic financing', otherwise in all other aspects it's no different than the conventional one. Initially buying a second hand car is recommended. Later you can save money and get a brand new if you like. 2nd hand good condition cars start from 10-12K SAR. The cash price of Toyota corolla (2D) brand new is 62K SAR.

islamian wrote:

4. I understand that apartments are usually unfurnished, so how much it might cost to buy basic furnishing & electronics like fridge / freezer, tv etc etc

Depends on many things but let me say it will be 10-15K.

islamian wrote:

5. I probably missed the bit about getting a cable / satellite TV connection / cost info, can anyone shed some light on that?

Pehla presents coverage of a few Pakistani channels. 71 SAR/month for their basic package.

islamian wrote:

6. Probably too long term, but any idea about schooling cost, I think there are some Pakistani schools there, can someone help out in that regard?

2 Pakistni schools are here. International and English section. I'll recommend latter. 700/month/kid average as I recall.

PM me if you need more info.

The salary and package is below average.

I would recommend that you seriously review your decision.

what sector will you working in?

Appreciate the feedback.

My Bad, 12K would be the basic salary, 3500 additional for accommodation & transport.

SaudiUK wrote:

The salary and package is below average.

I would recommend that you seriously review your decision.

what sector will you working in?

The sector is telecom, but I am not an engineer, my job is in one of the support teams.

P.S: 12K is basic, 3500 riyal separate for accommodation & transport.