Find reliable - safe - English ATMs in Cuenca

Hello All,

I have just joined.  My husband, Tom, and I will be arriving in Cuenca on Nov. 22 to begin to check it out for retirement.

I have been searching the web to find out where are ATMs that are safe & reliable, & ascertain fees, and confirm the network (PLUS, Cirrus)they run on.

I cannot find any of that information online for Cuenca. Can anyone help me with specific bank names that have ATMs, that are reliable & in town? 

Thank you, Wendy

Hello Wendy,

The ATM system in Ecuador and Cuenca is good, most of the national banks have branches in USA, mostly New York and California due the high amount of ecuadorian emigrants there.
So the ATMs are reliable and as far as I know all the networks work here.

About fees I don't know, between national banks the fee is 50 cnts - $1.

I guess you already have all set for your visit but, if you need any help or info, let me know.

Regards
Vinny

Thank you Vinny.  I was wondering about names of banks there.  Can you tell me some so I can see if our debit cards are on the same system? 

Regarding being set  -we have our air, hotel & transport to Cuenca.  We are hoping to meet expats while there, as we are considering Cuenca for early retirement - in our 50s.  Also, we hope to get recommendations of things to do while we are there.  I do have a list of practical things to check out if we want to live there.  Recommendations on fun things once we arrive would be nice.  We will make our plans to see & do things once we arrive on Nov. 22.

Thanks Wendy

Here are some names: Banco del Azuay (local bank)
                     Banco del Pichincha ( offices everywhere)
                     Banco de Guayaquil (main office in       
                                         Guayaquil)
                     Banco Internacional, Banco Bolivariano.

All this banks are rated at least AAA-

There is many things to do in Cuenca, I hope meet you when you come here  an talk about it. 

Vinny

Thank you for the bank info.  Yes, let's meet when we are there.  Yes, we can plan to meet.  We arrive in the afternoon of Nov. 22. Please let me know what might work for you.

Wendy

Many ATM's give you a choice of Spanish or English.  Pichincha doesn't even charge us a fee.  Neither does our US credit union, so we have access to our $$ for free.  Don't bring traveler's checks or cash above $20 denomination.

We'll be happy to help you when you get here.  Email at [email protected] for a quicker reply.