Taking a family pet to Brunei

is hi
my husband maybe transfered to Brunei in the next few weeks and i would just like to know if people have family dogs over there.  we are thinking of taking our two dogs and was wondering how accepted this would be.
thanks for any information in advance

You can find information about pet import there: petrelocation.com/resources/international-regulations/brunei

Ih, and this is from 2005, but can also be interesting.

"Pets Last Updated: 12/2/2003 10:43 AM

Travelers coming to Brunei with pets must obtain a permit, prior to importation of the animal, by requesting entry from:

Veterinary Officer Department of Agriculture Bandar Seri Begawan Brunei Darussalam Tel: (673) (2) 382080

Include with the letter a health certificate and a certificate from the veterinary authority of the exporting country stating that the country has been free of rabies for a period of six months prior to date or export of the animal(s). The clinic requires at least two weeks' notice before the pet's arrival. Mail the letter to the Administrative Officer, who will forward it to the clinic.

Quarantine is not required for pets that have been living in and are arriving from the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, Singapore, and other parts of Borneo. If arriving from other parts of the world (including the United States), the pet is quarantined for 6 months, but cases can be considered individually and the length of quarantine may be reduced. The Embassy has had some success in getting pets released to home quarantine after a few weeks; however, there is no guarantee this practice will always be followed. No fee is imposed for incoming pets, but an outgoing fee of US$1 is charged for each pet. Pets must arrive in Brunei as cargo. If you plan to bring a pet, please consult the Administrative Officer well in advance. Bruneians consider dogs unclean, and will not touch a dog or enter a home with a dog present."

Thank you Bandar Seri for that very useful information. I am wondering if the attitude to dogs in Brunei makes it at all difficult for expats who live with their pets and treat them more orless as part of the family. Does owning a dog make it more difficult to rent a falt or house? Can you easily take a dog out in public for a walk? My dog has always lived inside as we have always had small apartments and no garden.
Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi,
I'm not sure about Brunei, but in Malaysia dogs are not really accepted. In the very expat places maybe it would be ok but in the other i would not recommend it. We had a resort with 2 rottie puppies for security. It was on the outskirts of a city in a rural area. Both suddenly became very sick at the same time and died. We think that someone threw poisoned meat over the fence and poisoned them, it's quite common apparently. A friend had her dog shot. Even in Singapore my boss had someone come into her garden and stab her dog (thankfully she survived). I wouldn't recommend risking it to be honest. It's a totally different attitude than westerners have towards dogs, and if we are in their country it is best to follow their rules. Interestingly enough, I now live a very strict muslim part of the world and no one seems to mind dogs at all!