How do you get around in the Industrial Park part of Suzhou

Hi,

We will probably move to Suzhou during the Summer of 2012.
That is - our three kids, my husband and myself.
We will most probably be stationed in the Industrial Park section of Suzhou.
I would like to be able to get to downtown, large supermarkets or the train station.
How easy is it to move around without a car?
I understand there is a pretty good bus and now metro system as well.
Is it safe to assume that we can walk to the bus or metro station, or are the distances such that we need a cab or driver to bring us there?
How do you get around while living in the Industrial Park?
Any input/tips/advise will be really appreciated.

Thanks!

T

Hey there,

From what I have worked out the Metro is still under construction and will not be ready until end of 2012, roads are currently in a total mess in SND.

Taxi's are not that bad here and there are plenty of them around, much cheaper than in the UK.

Can't comment on the buses here as have a car.

John

How is it to drive a car in Suzhou?
Is it safe?
How about car theft?
And do you need a Chinese drivers' license or will an American one suffice?

Driving in Suzhou is more like negotiations of a really crowded market.

Safe as long as you follow the rules and keep calm about all the drivers who do not (ie most)

Car theft, not really come across anything as I park within the confirms of where my apartment is.

As a foreigner you will need to take a Chinese driving test, theory only though. At least that is the case when holding a British/EU drivers licence. Pass rate on test is 90% and they ask really weird/random questions, would suggest googleing up the topic covered by many people.

There r few supermarkets in SIP. normally wont take u so much time if u take a cab. Bus station quite near every compound. u can walk there .but most of time the bus is crowded.
After getting used to the road and the way people draving here, u can try drive urself if u want.

Echo

No problem to drive in SIP, but it will take you some time to get used to the driving in the downtown.

I agreed with Echo

Also agree with ECHO.
As a foreigner you will need to take a Chinese driving test, but also can by from a agent. I did, little more expensive. (2000RMB)

If you need info, let me know

Cheers, S.