Dogs in Rio

My wife and I will be getting a dog (a staffordshire terrier breed) once we are in Rio, probably living in Copacabana, not certain yet.
What is the general attitude towards dogs and are they welcome on the beaches - at a specific time or never at all? ( I never saw them during the day on my previous visits)
Is it common to see people jogging alongside the beach with their dogs? (this is something we would like to do).
Are dogs allowed on the metro? On the buses?
Do people typicaly tie their dogs to lamp posts or other street furniture when they go into a shop? (this is common in London U.k)
Are there parks or special areas ( in Zona Sul) where dogs can run off the lead?
Do vets in Rio tag or microchip dogs so they can be returned to their owners if they get lost?

Thanks for any answers or tips you can offer us.

We are moving to Rio and trying to take our dog with us.   Last April we stayed in Copacabana on a visit and there were dogs everywhere.   It is quite common to see people walking their dogs in the mornings.   I do recall talking to a woman about dogs being restricted on the actual beach/water front, but I cannot say for certain.  I did see a dog park in Leblon. Not sure how common they are in other parts of the city.  Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks nhoover, that is helpful. Good luck with your move.

As it turns out we are no longer moving to Rio, but the countryside near Parati instead, where the issue of dogs is not an issue, but we since discovered that there are some dog parks in Rio, Zona sul and its ok to take dogs walking running along any of the paths around Lagoa and Ipanema, Copacabana, Leblon etc but the sand is considered off limits. As for vets, yes some vets have the chip readers but its very sketchy, not as consistent as you would experience in USA , U.K.