Volunteering

Hi

i am new to istanbul and am working full-time. I am looking for volunteering opportunities but am finding it very hard to find anything....
Does anyone know where I can volunteer some of my time to help people.

thanks!

hi Holly , what sort of volunteer work are you looking for because i need help at the hotel where i work. Where are you?

well im looking to help people in need- for example homeless or elderly people.

you guys can teach me :)

english

hi holly
you can try going to the nearest orphanage or nursing home. im sure they need volunteers there a LOT
:)

thanks, but i do not know where these are and where i can get info? I am living on european side near beyoglu...

maybe do some googling? i know at the moment there are lots of volunteer things happening with people sorting things out to send to those who have been affected by the earthquake

There are lots of organizations here in Istanbul.

Here's a few ideas:
The German School is collecting items for the victims of the earthquake in Van. So If you have something to give, blankets, warm clothes (everything, underwear, socks, jackets, shoes), food (rice, noodles etc.), babyfood, nappy, sleeping bag, mats, battery lamp, toys....please bring until 31.10.2011 to the school. The school is in Beyoglu.

Bomonti Fransız Fakirhanesi - A home for the poor for the elderly of Istanbul, administered by the Little Sisters of the Poor. Email: Mother Mary psdptr@gmaıl.com.

IZEV, İstanbul Zihinsel Engelliler Vakfı - The Istanbul Foundation for the Education and Cooperation for the mentally handicapted; to educate, train and give therapy to children in the age of 0 to 25 years.

KEDV - A foundation to support low income women's projects throughout Turkey to raise their social and economical status through entrepreneurship.

Mavi Kalem - An educational organization in the Fener-Balat area dealing with women's health and healthcare issues and helping the local children. (I volunteered here one weekend earlier this year and donated 40 sack lunches for the kids.)   

SSK Okmeydan Hospital – Volunteer to look after and play with the children at the pediatric oncology unit suffering from leukemia.

I assume you are only available in the weekends?
Do you want to run/walk for charity in Turkey? Go to www.AdımAdım.com.

For volunteerwork with refugees, go to email address;[email protected].
Succes
Kees Arendz

thanks,
yes I have googled but not found much other than organisations where you pay to go abroad to Turkey.I emailed a few addresses i found but heard nothing back.
Yes I am looking for weekends or evenings to fit in around my work. i will check out the stuff you have mentioned. thank you!

It is http://www.adimadim.org/index.php. I am sorry for the mistake.
Ciao
Kees