Shocked to see all the big buildings on the coast on HGTV show!

My husband and I had considered moving to Ecuador.  We had been reading and researching, then we saw an HGTV House Hunters show.  My God were we surprised to see all the big buildings (high rises) and more being built every day by of all people Americans and ex patriots!  We live in I guess the last true Sebastian of true peace and tranquility where one can see the stars at night! Hear nature at it's best, with no crime and hear the ocean at night.
No high rises, no drama. The perfect climate, no plague or pestilence; that means the two legged variety too! Where one does not have to be a millionaire to own in a TRUE paradise! Where American white people do not over power financially the local people or other persons of colour from all countries and islands in the Pacific.  The Big Island of Hawai'i is truly the best well kept secret. It will be just a matter of time before the cost of living goes sky high in Ecuador due to the American duplication of San Diego or any other city that is being transplanted to Ecuador and far too many other countries where the best land is being bought up an controlled by money grubbing land barons.  I am so glad we found out before selling our house and moving. It is sad to see one more paradise being destroyed by what some consider "progress".
IslandAntoinette

Sorry you get scared with that TV show.

I don't know in which city was filmed but you don't have to be so scare. It's like any other country in the world, or USA.
There is big cities like New York or Los Angeles but a couple of hours out of the cities you have nature, houses and condos.
There's a lot of construction in Ecuador right now, but not all only for expats. The country is growing and more people is looking for a better house or a second residence.
I assure you there is a lot of nice places in Ecuador to discover and have a peaceful life.

Vinny

You saw the show in Salinas -- the "Miami beach" of Ecuador -- and it is pretty much the only "condo" area of the coast.  Take a look at places like Montanita, Olon, Puerto Lopez, Bahia caraquez, Canoa, and Atacames to a get a feel for the real coast of Ecuador.  I live about 20 minutes from Salinas on the opposite side of the peninsula from that area and we are a fishing village, Anconcito.

By the way, the term is expatriate -- meaning -- outside of country -- and ex-patriot is someone who has given up their patriotic belief in their country.

Susan
TheOceanHideaway.com

IslandAntoinette,

I think that Susan is correct in that you have to not base your opinion on Salinas. Salinas is where Ecuadoreans go to play on the weekends.  It is probably the only place in Ecuador where you will see so many high rises and condos, and for good reason.

The idea that within a few years Ecuador will become like the U.S. is also not quite correct because for that to happen, there would need to be a lot more Americans here, and that is not the case.  Most of them who come to Ecuador would like to have what they have in the U.S. but at half the price. Ultimately, many of those who stay are the ones who come to Ecuador for the right reasons. They are looking for an uncomplicated life , good weather, inexpensive retirement among a humble people that accepts them if they indeed come for the right reasons.

Ecuador will remain what it is for a long while yet, as its people have not yet come to the point where individualism is rampant.  There is community spirit and there are still a lot of good old-fashioned family values.  It will take some time to change that, fortunately.

Of course , all the above is only my humble opinion after having spent some time there. Take it for what it is worth. We live in Canada half of the year, and when winter arrives, we get itchy to be in our condo in Ecuador, and not just for the weather, I can assure you of that. There is much more to this country than what you can read in a newsletter or see in one real estate program. Change happens slower in Ecuador than in North America and that is a good thing for us.

cheers,

Don.

Thank you to everyone who wrote.  I am glad to hear that ALL of the coast is not tall apt. or condo buildings.  And to hear that people are family low key simple laid back folks.  I so much would just love to come to stay or even to just visit.  Sadly it is all about the money, and even though we are retirees we do not really have the extra money due to my exorbitant medical bills, mostly medications. We pay over $400 a month just in meds alone.  So to have some other things be lots less would certainly benefit us.
Renting would be new for sure and with our family of 3 Golden Retrievers and a cat I would be very concerned about finding someone to rent to us with a reasonable price in a nice house.
Prices on everything just keep going up everyday here in Hawai'i. The Big Island is cheaper for housing but everything else is 4 times higher than over on Oahu where Honolulu is. 
So eventually I am sure we will have to relocate.
I am sorry to the person who noticed I had misspelled expatriate. However maybe it was not so much an error as I definitely have given up on the beliefs of the USA. My son did two tours in Iraq and came back with PTSD so bad he can't function and once again America turns it's back on soldiers who they sent to fight wars over oil.  The whole back bone and beliefs of North America US are not to my value system at all.
Living outside of the US made me realize what really is taking place in the world overall! I think it is very smart of you folks to live there or in the many other countries that will allow Americans; when so many have contrary beliefs to what the rest of the world is about. Why does America have 1000 military basis around the world when there are only 250 countries on the earth?  I don't mean to get into politics but one can not see how the world lives without understanding,observing, studying and being aware of such.

Hi Antoinette:

That was me -- and yes it is horrible especiallyw hat is occurring to our veterans.  You would think we would have learned after 'Nam?  what is they say -- those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it!  We have a LOT of former military who are living here now -- especially because of the lower stress level. 

I think you might enjoy emailing with a friend of mine, Margarita (Margaret Goodhart) who has been living here for 30+ years with her husband Frank -- they had an Inn up in the moutnains near Otovalo until recently when they sold it off to a younger couple.  She's a good egg and certainly will tell you "the real deal" on a lot of stuff.  Her email is: [email protected]  just tell her Susan said you should contact her.  Her place Inn was Ali Shungu and she also still runs the ali shungu foundation for indigenous peoples -- she is very involved with the local tribes in the area and has helped to bring in potable water, schools, clinics and pre-natal care.  This was back in the day when the upper classes had little concern for the indians and "cholitos" -- things are thankfully changing for the better now under the Correa administration.

Stay in touch!

Susan
TheOceanHideaway.com

Hello Susan,

I live in Sacramento California and am planning a visit to Cuenca in the summer of 2012 to scout around for a possible retirement destination. your posts are very informative and entertaining and full of encouraging words that make me want to retire now. Hope to meet you in my travels. Thanks again,Jim B.