VISITING BRAZIL SOON (24-30OCT11)--ANY FILIPINO COMPANION(s)?

Hi. I'm a Filipino working in Dubai and I'm on my annual leave right now and thought of visiting Brazil for a few days before heading back to my homeland (Philippines) to see my family.
I found out that not very many speak English there and there's a small population for Filipinos. I wonder if it's safe to travel alone? Or are there newly arrived Filipinos like me who haven't seen the beauty of the country and interested in seeing the place?

It is not easy being alone here while having no idea about Portuguese....it is better to have a friend who lives here who can guide you.....language barrier is not easy

That's very true! I had so much difficulty finding my way through because I can't communicate in Portugese. My little spanish did help somehow for asking the bus numbers so I could reach my destination. I held on a map & show them where I want to go & ask them which bus(es) to take. I am proud to say, that I survived my 7 days vacation! From Sao Paolo, i went to Rio and spend the whole time there. Visited Christ the Redeemer, Sugarloaf Mountain, Jardin de Botanico and roamed around Leblon, Ipanema & Copacabana. Such a great place!

Cool to hear so...this is my third visit to Brazil for work....and I got some words of Portuguese to keep me surviving as well, thanks to the hand language of course :) ...