Organize your move to Laos

Hi all,

we invite you to share your experience about moving to Laos.

Here is a list of questions which might help the ones preparing their move to Laos:

What would you bring and what would you leave behind?

Is it a good idea to bring furniture or domestic appliances?

Any foodstuffs that are banned in Laos?

Is it better to bring a car or to buy one once settled in Laos?

Any advice for the ones who are moving to Laos?

Thank you in advance for your participation :)

Hm...How come there has been no reply to these very good questions.  I am looking to make a move to Laos.  I am very interested in learning more about moving household items to Laos.  I would like to know what are considered as a househould items and that if there are taxes imposed on them.  Any response from someone who has the experience would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Chan

Hi There!
I just made a moving for my husband, I am Lao,  you can take any thing from your own country. because here in Laos you might not easy to find them, It is easy if you would work for NGO or any other companies. It is tax free but you need to get a comfirm letter from where you work in Laos, it is only for foriegner. I used this company T.E.C. Logistics Lao Co., Ltd I found it cheaper than the other

Thank you, Vasana!  I really appreciate the information you have shared. This is very helpful.  If I could ask for more information, do you have T.E.C Logistics contact information?  I would really like to get in contact with them. Thank you, Chan.

Hello Chan

Yes, here is the address of T.E.C company

T.E.C. Logistics Lao Co., Ltd
No. 171, Thadeua road, Unit 11, Ban BeungkhaGnong,
Sisattanak District, Vientiane, Lao P.D.R
Tel:(856-21) 260 387; Fax: (856-21) 265-045
E-mail: [email protected]; [email protected]
teclogistics.net

Good luck
Vansana

I would like to know about a car and motorcycle. I was told that motorcycles over 125 cc are illegal in Lao and a car being transferred is taxed very steeply. I have a phantom which is over the 125 cc limit and cars are much cheaper to buy in Thailand.

Any help on this would be appreciated. As far as taking things into Lao. there are some tax issues on electrical things like big screen tv's, refridgerators and a few other things. I [u][u]heard many were skimmed at Lao customs for either a large fee or donation of said items to the customs department (officer???) But I am not sure. If you can take things on the bus it is easy but to take in a vehicle I am not sure.

Import tax on cars is steep. The Govt make money on this. Yes motorbikes over 125cc are illegal, although I hear that the bike hire companies hire bikes in excess of this. May be contact them for clarification.

As for electrical items I buy them locally at Talat Sao. Go with a heap of US$$$ and shop around for best price.