Organize your move to Honduras

Hi all,

we invite you to share your experience about moving to Honduras.

Here is a list of questions which might help the ones preparing their move to Honduras:

What would you bring and what would you leave behind?

Is it a good idea to bring furniture or domestic appliances?

Any foodstuffs that are banned in Honduras?

Is it better to bring a car or to buy one once settled in Honduras?

Any advice for the ones who are moving to Honduras?

Thank you in advance for your participation :)

hi all

I would like to share my experience with you. We moved to Honduras 1 year ago. I am Swiss and my husband is Honduran. We have two kids (double nationality).
My husband left Switzerland 1,5 months earlier to organize our stay in Honduras. He was looking for an apartment and purchased furnitures. To be honest, it was not easy to find a nice apartment in a safe area (in Tegucigalpa). I recommend you to come to Honduras and to look for an apartment or house here in Honduras. The prices which are mentioned on the websites are often much higher than in reality.

We decided to buy new furniture in Honduras because the transport would have been too expensive from Switzerland to Honduras. We did send only a few stuff like cloths, books, documents, etc. by airplane to Honduras. It was a big hassle to get the luggages here in Honduras. At Swissport (where all the goods arrive) asked for a lot of taxes. After more or less 2 weeks we got our luggages. Without a contact person - no way!!!

We decided to purchase our car here in Honduras. I do not know how much the transfer from the US to Honduras costs.
What I really recommend is to start the residency permission as early as possible. It takes a lot of time to organize it...and try to find a honest and responsible lawyer. Just to give you an example: to registry of our son (born in Switzerland) as Honduran took almost 1 year because we did not know anybody who knew the formality. Finally we got in contact with a responsible lawyer and he organized everything in few weeks.

I am very happy that I took the risk and moved to Honduras. Many people told me not to do it because of security reasons, curruption, etc. I finally did it and it was definitely the right decision for me and my family.

I have written down the experiences I made in Honduras on my blog (http://migration-honduras.blogspot.com/)...and I am adding new posts on a regular basis.

To summarize: it is very important to know the "right" people here in Honduras. If you do not have contact persons everything (even the smallest step) takes an awful lot of time :-/

Hi schuerel!

Thanks a lot for your input ;)

Armand