Organize your move to Italy

Hi all,

we invite you to share your experience about moving to Italy.

Here is a list of questions which might help the ones preparing their move to Italy:

What would you bring and what would you leave behind?

Is it a good idea to bring furniture or domestic appliances?

Any foodstuffs that are banned in Italy?

Is it better to bring a car or to buy one once settled in Italy?

Any advice for the ones who are moving to Italy?

Thank you in advance for your participation :)

Update to my own question here:
We have jsut spent 4 hours opening a bank account with the post office and tried to organise insurance with them.  We've been told that most Italians don't bother with insurance!  One of the reasons is that it is very difficult to claim - need to show receipts and photos to prove ownership of every item.  Any comments please?

absolutely true, reason why they don't bother.... they've been told you the truth! unless you do own jewels or particularly worthy bits and pieces and want to document with pictures, descriptions and values, previously of course! insurance companies in italy are tough and fussy before give away a penny! and pretty expensive too! this it might be another reason! good luck!

Yes,  they love paperwork in Italy.  It was funny when I first got here because you usually must get 2 or 3 pieces of paper for everything,  I was used to calling on the phone and having my one piece of paper emailed to me. Done,  business complete within 5 minutes. :)

My parents moved to Italy 6 months ago and my father went to get car insurance.  In Australia he has never made a claim and is rating 1 for life (thats the best you can get),  but in Italy he was something like 14th position from #1 and it costed almost €3000 for a €19,000 car.  In Australia he had a €50,000 car and paid €1,000 in insurance.

A lot to get used to. :)