Recommended areas of Malta to live?

Hi Folks,

Are there any area of Malta that you would recommend moving to over others?

For example, St Juliens is more touristy and potentially more expenive to rent?

Thanks in advance

Kelly

your choice and ultimately our recommendations really depend on what you are looking for....there are lots of really nice villages and places to live but it would help if you gave some idea as to what it is you are looking for by way of services, needs. lifestyle etc etc etc

I only really know the tourist areas of malta. Where are the residential areas?

I'm looking to live somewhere which has decent connections and a community feel.

On my last visit I rented an apartment in Melleiha, which was lovely but was right next to a massive hotel.

I am just really looking for what peoples opinion is of different areas really, just to give me more idea of places to look at on my next visit.

Thanks
Kelly

Sliema is a good area, between Gzira and St Julian's, with many restaurant, closing and souvenir shops.

I have spent the last year living in the heart of Sliema and found it very convenient... but!!!

It is extremely busy and very noisy during the summer months...day and night (and I used to really like fireworks ... not quite so much now :( )

Sliema can also be a real pain to navigate out of during the morning, lunchtime and evening 'rush hours'... year round !

but, I have loved every minute of living here and when hopefully I return at some point... I will be making my search based around Sliema once again.

We live in Mellieha and have lived here for three years now - there arent many other places i would consider living in - not a slight on them just not my cup of tea...as like you, we didnt want to be in a really touristy area and fortunately for us anyway Mellieha isnt too bad and its a much quieter area of Malta - but if i was to move to another area I would consider Mgarr (quiet village but truly maltese albeit a little remote), Attard (lovely urban area fairly central), Madliena (nice little place on the coast) and maybe Gharghur.

Qawra is a lovely place to rent too... I would recommend it

Qawra is less expensive too

That really depends on your lifestyle? single/married/ looking for party nights?

We are a family of 5 and live in Mellieha and we love it!

we do too....

I'm living in Mosta for example. With a car, Malta is small, it's not a problem. Otherwise, Swieqi is quieter than Sliema, close to San Giljan and there is a good mix of nationalities. So we don't feel the only foreigner in the area. Definitely, I don't like Valletta and the three cities.

Hi,
I'll move to Malta in January 2012 and I'm striving to discover as many as possible things about the country before getting there. I'll work in Birkirkara, please let me know how difficult is to reach to B'kara from Qawra without having a car?

I would say you have quite a trek to get to Birkirkara from there, even with a car as rush hour traffic is pretty rough.

If you are working in Birkirkara, there are some nice properties around there, or Balzan, Attard, Lija, Iklin... all walking distance (to a point).  Birkirkara is also well located to access other areas, Valletta, Sliema, Msida..etc.

Thank you, Lucyanya, on the map the distance looks bearable :)
Most agencies offers are for Valleta, Sliema, Qwara...Are there websites where I can find offers posted by owners, not by agencies?

there are buses from Qawra, which pass through b"kara ,

Gharghur is lovely and relaxed but it depends what you are looking for, no nightclubs and only a few restaurants. We used to live there before we left Malta, and it only takes 10 minutes to get to Bkara. After the change in busroutes Im not sure about getting there by bus but i would still consider getting a car regardless where you live.

you can always check the classified section here, you might find something direct from owner.

how about Santa Venera?

To be honest I wouldnt live there, I cant explain why, its just my gut feeling but if its close to work why not?

To All,

Are there any nice quiet coastal villages with surf?  I had originally planned to visit in the summer, but now it looks like it will be winter.  From the map, it looks like there are some areas that are exposed enough, but you don't know until you get there.

Thanks,

Duffy

I live in Birzebbuga, which is wonderful and quiet in the winter and not to bad in the summer. Mainly Maltese visit in the summer although you will get a few tourists.

The surf isn't brilliant and to tell you the truth the best area's for surfing, Including Kite surfing are up on the North East Coast..... but then if you have transport there really isn't any issues, hit the Regional road and head north .... sorted.

Julian

scubaboy wrote:

I live in Birzebbuga, which is wonderful and quiet in the winter and not to bad in the summer. Mainly Maltese visit in the summer although you will get a few tourists.

The surf isn't brilliant and to tell you the truth the best area's for surfing, Including Kite surfing are up on the North East Coast..... but then if you have transport there really isn't any issues, hit the Regional road and head north .... sorted.

Julian

Thanks - I want to stay for a few months but want to find a short term tenant for my house here first.  Would also like to look at the job market.  Had a chance to spend 3 weeks in the Aleutian Islands once in January.  Surf like the HI North Shore but only a fool would even try without a drysuit, a waverunner, a sturdy boat, a helo, and a lot of precautions only the world class guys can afford. (I watched from the "beach").  It isn't *that* cold there, is it?  I hope to have a car.

duffy

I like the small villiges in the south but you miss the tourist areas for the bars and good restruants,

How could one find affordable accomodation in one of these lovely small villages, without being yet in Malta and without the "help" of real-estate agencies?

Hi Ada39,

you should try on short term before you intend to arrive in Malta as appartments are usually available immediatly. People don't usually rent out much in advance unless you want to pay in advance!

Try the Classifieds in the TimesofMalta. There are offers from owners there. Or just wander the streets , ask at the local stores and watch out for 'To let' signs with a telephone number.

I'm not sure if they are cheaper than through agencies but you would save the agency fee !

Most Expats do use the services of an agency. You pay half a months rent and the landlord does too .

Cheers
Ricky

Thank you, Ricky. it seems it's still to early to try to book something. I'll follow your suggestion.

Hi jeromem85,

one more time and I will have you thrown off the forum if you just post commercials and no decent advice!

From what you post I have to warn our readers against simon mamo.

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

Hi jeromem85,

one more time and I will have you thrown off the forum if you just post commercials and no decent advice!

From what you post I have to warn our readers against simon mamo.

Cheers
Ricky

good call Ricky

Would it be possible to restart this thread?  It began as what do people think the various areas of Malta have to offer. 

I found two useful suggestions here and wondered about a city in Gozo that I found myself in some B&B blogs ( forgot the name, sorry, started with Q, four or five letters, Northeast coast of Gozo?)  Can't get to my bookmarks from here.

And maybe just leave the realty agencies out of it? I did not like simon m. or find them at all useful. It's more interesting to see what people like or dislike about where they are and where they would like to go.

If everybody is tired of the thread, that's ok too.  I might be better off to stay in a hotel first and look around to plan a longer trip. 

Thanks,

duffy

Hi duffy,

I'm sure George will say something about living on the island of Gozo.  The village you are talking about is probably Qala.

To be honest I don't think Gozo is the right place for you on your first visit and looking for a job and so on. It is really quite a trip to get to the main island and back. And Qala is a small village for Maltese standards even. There is not much there.Of course you would meet George -)))

And you should definitly stay in a hotel at the beginning before you decide on anything permanent.

Cheers
Ricky

Its almost impossible for a foreigner to get a job in Gozo unless its a dive instructor or working in a restaurant/bar, and I wouldn't recommend commuting to Malta on a daily basis from Gozo

Ricky,

I think you are right; I am looking for a hotel instead of a short let for my first visit.  That way I have more flexibility and can move if I don't like it.

It IS Qala.  Am I allowed to say the name of the B & B I was looking at?  It is three words, last starts with a "Z".  All the architecture there is so beautiful.  But are there nice places in the cities?  If I wanted to stay somewhere that looked like the US, I could just stay here.

Thanks,

Duffy

George,

Why is it not practical to commute?  Here, a 40 minute trip each way is common.  Does it take longer than that?

Oh - I apologize for my spelling in post to Ricky.  It is Qala.

But looks very beautiful and from the terrain, looks like beautiful underwater also.

Thx,

Duffy

lets say you commuted from Qala to Sliema

10 minutes to harbour
10 minutes wait
25 minutes ferry
then either
60-90 minutes bus
30-60 minutes car

each way of course......LOL

George and toonarmy,

Wow!  Thank you for saving me from my own stupidity.  It looks so close on the map.

I still like that hotel for a few days vacation though.  Maybe I'll spend most of my time on Malta and a few days on Gozo if they have openings.  It's beautiful.

Duffy

And add to the time... The cost of the ferry, speially if you are planning to drive. Aprox 15 eu per day or 5 if you dont get your car...

Alf007 wrote:

And add to the time... The cost of the ferry, speially if you are planning to drive. Aprox 15 eu per day or 5 if you dont get your car...

not with a Gozo ID card...

8.15 with car, 1.15 without car (and even cheaper for Gozo OAPs)

What about Marsascala? :P

The South is really quite Nice... Lived here since June and love it

Julian

Yes true, but may be little boring here cuz not to much places where can go or am i wrong?:)