Irish moving to Toronto

Hey there everybody! I am new to this so not sure if I am even doing this right. My name is Thomas. I am from Tipperary in Ireland and I am looking to move to Toronto to live and work for at least a year (hopefully more seems as how hard it is to get work here now). I am a fully qualified Carpenter and would love to know if anyone out there can help me in anyway possible ie good agencies to contact, what areas are the best for construction work so on and so forth. Any help would be very very much appreciated :)
Also, I am moving on my own and am kinda freaking out about a place to live for the first while anyway and was wondering if anyone knew good places to move that won't get me killed ;0 and even where to go to meet new people and friends.
I really hope someone out there can help me, a lot of people have told me how helpful people can be on this :)
Thanks and I hope to hear back soon.

Hi Thomas!

Welcome to Expat.com ;)

Armand

Hiya Thomas :D

Have you gotten any help, yet? If you do, feel free to drop me a message -- I didn't want to get into things here because I wasn't sure whether or not you'd already received the information.

It'd be my pleasure to help you out :)

hey how are you. Actually I have had a lot of things answered but still the most confusing thing is where to move?? You know Toronto is a huge place.

shanks00001 wrote:

hey how are you. Actually I have had a lot of things answered but still the most confusing thing is where to move?? You know Toronto is a huge place.

hey thomas, i've lived in toronto my whole life so happy to give you some suggestions on recreation, neighbourhoods, subtleties etc.(if you still want/need any). hope you enjoy toronto. it has a lot to offer especially since we're so ethnically diverse. btw, my family originates (partially) from tipperary (i've yet to visit ireland).
cheers,

Hey Susie thank you so much. I am heading over there in a week today so I am booked into a hostel for the first week and try to get a shared house then. As I say to anyone who gets back to me any advice on area to live and avoid is always very much appreciated! On the other note, where abouts in Tipperary are they from?? You never know I might very well know them Haha

shanks00001 wrote:

Hey Susie thank you so much. I am heading over there in a week today so I am booked into a hostel for the first week and try to get a shared house then. As I say to anyone who gets back to me any advice on area to live and avoid is always very much appreciated! On the other note, where abouts in Tipperary are they from?? You never know I might very well know them Haha

hey, you never know!
will look into it and pm you.
ok, as for neighbourhoods, it depends on your age, if you've already landed a job and of course, budget. some areas i think are great:

- riverdale (its undergone a gentrification of sorts...old houses restored to former glory etc. kinda a family hood but still got an edge to it)
- the annex (again, large old homes, uni crowd, and somewhat expensive but you could definately find a share there as its smack in the middle of university of toronto; has great restaurants and is easily accessible by subway)
- the beaches (great location on the lake, good for singles and families; nice vibe on the weekends...kinda feels like a village; only down side is the route in and out can be congested; lots of beach volleyball in the summer and of course crowd watching)
- yonge & eglinton (everything you need will be within walking distance; i'm sure you could find a share in this area; both young crowd of singles and married and young families; also 15 mins to downtown on subway)
- highpark (i've never lived there but it is a fav of locals; beautiful old houses; huge park; right on the subway line)

that's all that comes to mind now, but you should check out some of the classifieds: viewit.ca; or kajjiji; even the local papers have good classified sections: the toronto star; the globe and mail

it depends of course on your preferences and budget. and where you'll be working.

hope that helps and i'll look into my family tree...my dad started it so will take a peak and see where his grandfather originated from...

cheers,

My god that is great!! Thank you so much. Well I have a job sorted in the youge& bloor area so I have actually been looking around both that area and youge& eglinton too so it good to know it is a nice area. There is nothing set in stone mind you but that is where I will start looking! Do you head out in Toronto much at all? It doesnt have to be out drinking or that but it would be nice to know good areas to meet some fun people! And do find out what area it would be gas if I knew them or at least the area that he was from!

shanks00001 wrote:

My god that is great!! Thank you so much. Well I have a job sorted in the youge& bloor area so I have actually been looking around both that area and youge& eglinton too so it good to know it is a nice area.

cool, so you'll be working in a great neighbourhood then. yonge and bloor is like the cross roads for toronto. the two subway lines cross there, as do the main roads "bloor & yonge". its only two subway stops east of the annex neighbourhood and 5 i think from yonge and eg. i think yonge and eg would be good for you. you could definately find cheaper places in scarborough but to be honest, if you're new to the city, i'd stay within walking distance to the subway.

Do you head out in Toronto much at all? It doesnt have to be out drinking or that but it would be nice to know good areas to meet some fun people!

haha, i don't go out much but can certainly give you leads on areas;  again depending on age and budget. but you'd prob really like the madison in the annex. huge old victorian converted into a bar thats populated with uni folk; then of course there's the beaches again for summer events; restaurant district downtown is a bit cheesy but a good place to start meeting ppl; little italy is nice - can be pricey; there's a great irish pub  the local tfc (toronto football club) crowd goes to...brazen head i think...it's also fun to go see a tfc game :); there's also a seudo social sports league in toronto that might interest you...i've worked with guys who play football (our football) or rugby and like it "http://www.trsl.ca/AboutTRSL.htm"

happy to send more ideas...i'm past the bar scene but do like pubs...which reminds me, there's a great sports bar at yonge & st. clair called "scallywags" which broadcasts european leagues...(they also broadcast the rugby world cup so do appeal to a large crowd)

And do find out what area it would be gas if I knew them or at least the area that he was from!

:) will do...funny, but i do want to go to ireland but its soo expensive...the last time i looked, i found it around $4k for two weeks so ended up going to egypt.

hey mate, im in the same situation im moving from australia, i am a concreter and do mostly house slabs.. When do you get to Toronto? can catch up for a beer and maybe visit some job sites to ask around?