Looking for a great german class

Hey there I am new to Cologne and Germany. Looks like I will be here for a while, so I want to learn the language. Does anybody know the best places around town for this?

Hello Jay Chinnery, you should post an advert in Cologne classifieds > language classes section.

Hope it helps,
Harmonie.:)

hi Jay,

as i have heard from the foreigners, one good option is Inlingua language school, you can find it in many cities,  a link
inlingua-koeln.de

Hello Jay,
There are many ways to learn a language (on line through Busuu.com, books based in English, books based in Deutsch that need a teacher, audio tapes like Pimsleur and Michel Thomas, the local VHS that I found too slow (twice a week at night), and schools that can provide a class or teacher for private instruction).
To Harmonie's point, you could advertise for a teacher in the classifieds. But, I will direct you to a site that will scare you. There's only one way to become fluent and you can find it here: fluentin3months.com/german-mission/
I've been working on German for 2 years now, and I suggest you get the basics of grammar, learn some pronunciation from Pimsleur and then on to M.T. At that point, stop using English. Vielen Glück!

hey try the VHS .... good luck! by the way,german is Not Easy

There are lots of ways to learn German. You can use a torrent site (although be careful of that in Germany, as you can be heavily prosecuted) to download books about German language skills. I found Busuu.com very useful, and its free. I didn't pick up any of the grammar there, and after two semesters at my university, most of the vocab was null in the beginners course but its a great way to get started.

What you need to do is make contact with an English speaking person with German skills who can explain why things work. Native German speakers aren't always the best for this. They instinctively know many of the rules of the language without having to process why something works, which sometimes leaves them at a disadvantage.

I know that if you live anywhere near the Army bases around here, there are usually classes around there. Apart from that, I'm not sure where you would go officially. You could always buy a good beginners book like Deutsch Na Klar online and have it shipped to you. Most of the shipping on Amazon is quite quick to reach Germany.

I can tell you now that the case structure, the word order and the endings of words dependent on these factors is quite complicated.

Viel Glueck! Und Viel Spass!
Lisa